You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 59942  

Print Page



© Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB

IoE Number: 59942
Location: PRIOR PURSGLOVE COLLEGE, INCLUDING MASTER'S HOUSE, GYMNASIUM AND ASSEMBLY HALL, CHURCH WALK
  GUISBOROUGH, REDCAR AND CLEVELAND, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB
Date Photographed: 07 June 2004
Date listed: 25 April 1984
Date of last amendment: 25 April 1984
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NZ6116GUISBOROUGHCHURCH WALK7/74Prior PursgloveCollege,including

NZ6116 GUISBOROUGH CHURCH WALK 7/74 Prior Pursglove College, including Master's House, gymnasium and assembly hall. II Sixth Form College (originally: grammar school and school house). 1887. Alfred Waterhouse. Dressed sandstone ground floor, red brick first floor; yellow terracotta dressings. Westmorland slate roofs in diminishing courses; clay ridge crestings. 2 storeys. Tudor. Plinth. Mullioned and transomed casement windows throughout. Chamfered string band between floors. First floor sills continued as moulded string. Stepped brick corbelled verges. School: rectangular plan; asymmetrical. Off-centre (R.H.S.) gabled dormer over slight projecting bay on corbels with 3-light window over moulded drop-arched entrance passage, with granite spur stones. To L.H.S. of entrance: 4 6-light ground floor windows, 6 single lights to first floor. To R.H.S. : 2 cross- windows to ground floor, 2 2-light windows above. 3 stacks. Timber clock cupola on ridge, to R.H.S., with shallow copper dome. Tablet above entrance arch records: "Founded in the reign of Queen Elizabeth AD 1561 Guisborough Grammar School re-erected in the reign of Queen Victoria AD 1887". Carved stones from original buildings were built into foundations. House: adjoins E. side of school. Balanced asymmetry. 3 bays: L & R being wider than centre and gabled. L.H.S. projects forward. 6-light windows to ground floor, 3-light to first floor, single light to attic. Moulded strings across eaves line of gables. Central doorway with moulded architrave and shouldered fanlight. 2-light window above. Slate-roofed gabled timber porch on turned shafts on stone dwarf-wall to plinth height. Similar treatment to E. elevation. The listing includes the gymnasium and assembly hall adjoining the N.& W. sides of the school. Erected 1898 by Waterhouse in same style and materials. (N. Pevsner, ".... North Riding", 1966, p179; & B.J.D. Harrison & G. Dixon (Eds) "Guisborough Before 1900", 1981, pp. 144-148 & 225-227).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.