You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 60940  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Richards

IoE Number: 60940
Location: MAUSOLEUM OF SIR JAMES TILLIE, MOUNT ARARAT,
  PILLATON, CARADON, CORNWALL
Photographer: Mr Brian Richards
Date Photographed: 21 August 2001
Date listed: 23 January 1968
Date of last amendment: 23 January 1968
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

PILLATONSX 46 SW6/241 Mausoleum of Sir James Tillie,Mount Ararat23.1.68

PILLATON SX 46 SW 6/241 Mausoleum of Sir James Tillie, Mount Ararat 23.1.68 GV II* Mausoleum. Early C18. Slatestone rubble with brick dressings. Plan: Square plan tower, set within a square plan walled enclosure; the tower has a 2-storey porch. Pictureque Gothic style. Exterior: 3-stage tower, each stage set back slightly, with brick string courses, embattled parapet. The 2-storey porch tower also has an embattled parapet, with a round brick arch to the front, inner entrance blocked, with a small single light inserted. At the right side there is a round-arched brick blocked opening, probably originally a door. Left side has similar blocked window. Rear has small opening in the second stage. The walls surrounding the tower are in rubble, with buttresses to the outer side; in the centre at the front the walls are ramped up to a pair of square plan rubble piers with cornices. Flight of 10 stone steps to front with flanking walls partly collapsed. Interior: Plastered walls; roof and first floor gone. On the rear wall is a segmental arch with putto as keystone, panels to sides with flowers; seated on a pedestal to front is a plaster statue of Sir James Tillie. Sir James Tillie died on 17th November, 1713. He ordered that when he died, he should not be buried, but his body should be fastened in the chair where he died, and set "in a walled vault or grot" with a view over Plymouth Sound and Harbour, wearing his hat, wig, rings etc. Circa 1770, the body was removed, and replaced by the plaster statue. The statue is said to be plaster, but may be plastered over some other material. Sources: Country Life, December 17, 1938.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.