You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 68721  

Print Page



© Mr N. E. Ward

IoE Number: 68721
Location: SOUTH HARBOUR PIER, QUAY AND WALLS ON SOUTH WEST SIDE OF HARBOUR, THE HARBOUR
  FORRABURY AND MINSTER, NORTH CORNWALL, CORNWALL
Photographer: Mr N. E. Ward
Date Photographed: 03 November 2001
Date listed: 17 December 1962
Date of last amendment: 17 December 1962
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

FORRABURY ANDTHE HARBOUR, BoscastleSX 09 SE MINSTER1/61South harbour pier, quay and walls17.12.62on south west side of harbour

FORRABURY AND THE HARBOUR, Boscastle SX 09 SE MINSTER 1/61 South harbour pier, quay and walls 17.12.62 on south west side of harbour GV II* Harbour pier, quay and walls on south west side of harbour. Circa 1584. Slate stone rubble and quartz. The pier is constructed of vertically coursed rubble, partly rebuilt on the east. It projects from the west, curving gently and giving protection to the natural harbour on the south. The outer seaward side is raised and there is a cobbled path with slip on the leeward, south side. The south west wall of the harbour is largely constructed of vertically coursed slate stone rubble, interspersed with natural outcrops of rock. Quay directly to south of southern harbour pier with high cliff to west. The north east side of the harbour is enclosed by natural outcrops of rock. A pier had been erected at Boscastle by 1547 and in 1549 The Church of St. Thomas, Launceston, had contributed towards the repair of the quay. In circa 1584, a memorandum was drawn up by the townsmen of Boscastle, at the request of Sir Richard Grenville, Sheriff of Cornwall; this sets out full details of the wages paid out in the first 14 months of work on the rebuilding of the pier. A letter from Grenville gives full details of the dimensions which correspond closely with those of the existing pier. The pier was restored in 1740 by Mr Cotton Amy and in C18 an outer bar was built. The latter was destroyed during World War II and reconstructed in 1962 reusing stone from the demolished Laira Bridge, Plymouth. The busy port of Boscastle exported corn, roof slates and bark for leather tanning; between circa 1815 and 1840 exporting manganese ore from the mines near Launceston and after 1865 china clay from Bodmin Moor. Imports included wine and spirits, pottery, coal, manure and limestone. A description of the port in 1861 described the numerous warehouses, workshops, shipyards and timber yards. This is a fine early harbour structure in a particularly picturesque setting. Pearse, Richard The Ports and Harbours of Cornwall 1963 Williams, Michael Boscastle 1978

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.