You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 69226  

Print Page



© Mr David B Savory

IoE Number: 69226
Location: LEVANT ENGINE HOUSES,
  ST JUST, PENWITH, CORNWALL
Photographer: Mr David B Savory
Date Photographed: 12 April 2004
Date listed: 19 March 1979
Date of last amendment: 19 March 1979
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1589LEVANT ZAWN-----------Levant Engine HousesSW 33 SE 1/156

1. 1589 LEVANT ZAWN ----------- Levant Engine Houses SW 33 SE 1/156 II 2. 1840. 2 granite buildings, one with hipped Delabole slate roof being the hoist engine half with stunted circular stack at one end and is 2 storeys higher: the other being the pump engine house, 3 storeys, roofless and one side open on 2nd floor and (the latter probably incorporates older fabric). Former tin and copper mine engine houses dramatically sited on edge of 200 foot cliff. Extensive galleries including submarine works. The hoist engine house has 2 doorways and a 1st floor sash window. The pump engine house has 2 doors one arched and various small openings, one on 1st floor arched. Peak of copper production 1900. Scene of Cornwalls worst mining disaster 1919 when 31 mines were killed and many others injured as a result of a broken section in the Main Engine carrying the men up the shaft. Closed 1930. The oldest Cornish existing engine preserved in the hoist engine house (c.1840). (Main engine for hoisting men) 1856 by Mackay, replaced 1888 by horizontal 18" and 30" compound engine. National Trust property.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.