You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 71239  

Print Page



© Mrs Lucy Hewitt

IoE Number: 71239
Location: 1-12 MARKET PLACE (south side)
  ST COLUMB MAJOR, RESTORMEL, CORNWALL
Photographer: Mrs Lucy Hewitt
Date Photographed: 21 September 2002
Date listed: 12 May 1988
Date of last amendment: 12 May 1988
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST COLUMB MAJOR MARKET PLACE (south side),SW 9063-9163St Columb Major17/235Nos 1-12-

ST COLUMB MAJOR MARKET PLACE (south side), SW 9063-9163 St Columb Major 17/235 Nos 1-12 - GV II Row of shops with integral warehouse and living accommodation above. Dated 1882 with few later alterations. Painted brick with granite dressings. Slate roof with ridge tiles and gable ends. Gable end stack to left and axial stack with brick shafts. Plan: Double depth plan. A pair of shops at ground floor to right, with entrance to the left to the living accommodation above; The warehouse is to the rear at the right end. Exterior: 3 storeys, nearly symmetrical 5-bay front. Ground floor has granite pilaster to right and left; end bay to left has plate-glass sash with sidelights and granite lintel. To right there is a continuous plain fascia over the shop fronts. Three canted shop windows with cable moulded colonettes with foliate capitals dividing plate-glass shop windows above granite ashlar stall risers. Between the shop windows are 2 C20 double doors with overlights. To left end a pair of granite pilasters with narrower C20 double doors with angled overlight. Moulded granite cornice overall. First and second floors have canted bays through 2 storeys at each outer end with pilasters; all windows are C19 plate-glass sashes. Brick pilasters between the bays. The inner bays have paired plate-glass sashes; central bay slightly broken forward with paired sashes at first and second floors and gable over with triple lancet, the central light taller, with 2-centred granite arch and stepped gable with finial. At first floor a cornice and second floor cill string. At second floor level the central bay has a datestone, initialled CH 1882, with shield with mason's compasses and set square. The left end is in rubble with brick dressings; random C19 sashes with brick segmental arches. The right end has at ground floor a blocked double width opening to left, 2 C20 doors to right. First and second floors have two 4-pane sashes to left and one to right, with brick segmental arches. Two 4-pane sashes at attic level. The integral warehouse is to right, at the rear, with double doors and 6-pane light at ground floor. Three bays at first and second floor; the first floor has central loading door with 12-pane sash to right and left, granite arch to the loading door and brick segmental arches to the windows. Second floor has 2 loading doors to left, one with pulley arm, and 12-pane sash to right; similar dressings. At the rear is random fenestration. Interior: Not inspected.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.