You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 71251  

Print Page

© Mrs Lucy Hewitt

IoE Number: 71251
Photographer: Mrs Lucy Hewitt
Date Photographed: 10 April 2002
Date listed: 21 January 1985
Date of last amendment: 12 May 1988
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST COLUMB MAJOR NORTH STREET, St Columb MajorSW 9063-916317/250Bank House(formerly listed as Bank House,21.1.85Market Place)

ST COLUMB MAJOR NORTH STREET, St Columb Major SW 9063-9163 17/250 Bank House (formerly listed as Bank House, 21.1.85 Market Place) GV II* Bank, now house. 1857, by William White (1825 - 1900). Few later alterations. Polychromatic dressed stone rubble front, including elvan, slatestone, granite and limestone, with brick. Slate roof with crested ridge tiles and stepped raised coped verges to the gable ends. Gable end stack to left and cross finial to right gable end. Plan: Asymmetrical double depth plan; the front entrance leads to an internal porch, with access only to the banking hall to right. To front left is a large principal room. Behind these is a wide lateral corridor with the stair hall at the left end, rooms to rear right and the other principal room in a wing to rear left. The plan is intact, including functional details such as the vault with safe leading off the banking hall. High Victorian Gothic style. Exterior: 2 storeys on cellar with attic; an asymmetrical 3-window front, on tall chamfered plinth, with weathered buttress to right and left and corbelled eaves. The cellar has two 3-light windows to left and one single light to right, those to left with stone columns rising to pointed arches; all cellar windows have very fine wrought iron grilles in free Gothic design. Ground floor has central 2-centred arched doorway with roll-moulding, plank double doors with strap hinges, the woodwork set in a diagonal. Buttress to right and left, hood mould and relieving arch in banded brick and granite. Two 4-pane sashes to left with 2-centred arched fanlight with stained glass, banded relieving arch. 3-light windows to right, with 4-pane sashes, 2 marble columns between with chamfered capitals and 2-centred arched fanlight over the polychromatic tiling, banded relieving arches. First floor has double granite string course, flush with the wall, and three 2-light windows with 2- centred arches and central marble columns with chamfered capitals, banded relieving arches. Three flat-roofed leaded dormers with 2-light pivoted windows, with corbels to eaves. All the windows are the originals. The left side has a shallow external stack to the front range and single pointed arched ventilator to the cellar. The central bay is over the stair hall; there is a tall steep 3-storey gabled bay with 4-light window with chamfered lights at ground and first floors; attic has 2-light window with tracery circle above and pointed arch. To right there is a triple lancet to the cellar and rectangular chamfered cellar light. Ground floor has 2-light window with cusped lights and tall 2-light window lighting the stair, with pointed arches and upper quatrefoil, with a half- hipped gable over. The end bay to left has a shallow external stack to the rear wing. The right side has the gable end of the front range, of 2 storeys with attic; cellar has single pointed arched light with similar wrought iron grille. Ground floor has 2-light window with 4-pane sashes, central marble column supporting a 2-centred arch with polychromatic tiling and banded relieving arch. First floor has 2-light window, with central marble column supporting 2 pointed arches standing free of the window surface, with banded relieving arches. Second floor has 2 lancets with banded relieving arches. The stonework is continued as on front. The rear of the front range has stack with granite quoins. Set in the angle to the rear range is a conservatory, which appears to be of later C19, but on the foundations of an original conservatory. Above is a multi-pane window lighting the first floor landing. Narrower gable end to right of the rear range. This has the plinth at ground floor level, with the slope of the ground falling away to the rear of the house. First floor has single chamfered light and paired pointed arched lights with free marble column and banded relieving arches. At the rear, the main range has 4-light chamfered window to cellar,and pointed arched doorway, door with strap hinges. Ground floor has 4-pane sash with 2-centred arch and fanlight with stained glass, banded relieving arch; to right a similar 2-centred arched single light. At first floor to right a tall narrow 2-centred arched light. The inner side of the rear wing has canted bay through cellar and ground floor levels; at cellar level a plain door. Ground floor has window with transom and corbelled eaves, hipped roof over. The rear gable end of the wing has buttress to right and left with plinth at cellar level. 5-light chamfered window to cellar. Ground floor has 3 pointed arched lights with stained glass fanlights, chamfered granite surround and banded relieving arch. At first floor a triple light with 2 free-standing marble columns with chamfered granite arches, banded relieving arch. Small pointed arched light to attic and cross finial. Interior: The interior has had very few alterations; most of the features designed by William White remain intact. The entrance at the front leads to the vestibule to the bank; this is vaulted with chamfered granite ribs and bosses with carved stone masks; set in the stonework of the rear wall are 2 pieces of slate carved with leaves in low relief. Half-glazed double doors with pointed arch to right. The banking hall has stone chimneypiece to rear, in Gothic style, with granite surround and polychromatic tiles. The windows have stone columns set behind the outer mullions and heavy shutters with rise from floor level on wooden runners. The bank vault is set behind the vestibule, and has a heavy-door and a safe. The lateral passage is to rear; all doors are 6-panelled and chamfered. Open-well stair with panel balustrade with a free-flying moulded handrail. To rear right, the room has a chimneypiece with cupboards to sides. The main rooms at ground floor have shutters in a Gothic design with large chevrons at the top. The room to front left has a fine stone Gothic chimneypiece in slate and marble with columns to sides, 2-centred arch and polychromatic tiled surround, marble mantel. Corbelled cornice. The rear left room has a similar Gothic chimneypiece with marble column and 2-centred arch, polychromatic tiles and marble mantel. The window at the rear of the room has marble columns between the lights and columns at each side of the bay window to the side, all in different coloured marbles. The rear window has a window seat and there is dado panelling in the bay window. Corbelled cornice. At first floor, all the original 6-panelled doors remain with segmental arches. All chimneypieces are in Gothic design, simpler than those on the ground floor, with wooden mantels with brackets. Fine cupboard with panelled doors on the first floor landing. Bank House is a very fine example of William White's architecture, where the influence can be seen of Sir G. G. Scott, in whose office he was before he set up practice in Truro in 1847. The details are very good, such as window fittings, and the plan is straightforward and functional.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.