You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 72086  

Print Page



© Mr Gordon Furness

IoE Number: 72086
Location: NEWLANDS CHURCH AND FORMER SCHOOL,
  ABOVE DERWENT, ALLERDALE, CUMBRIA
Photographer: Mr Gordon Furness
Date Photographed: 07 October 2002
Date listed: 03 March 1967
Date of last amendment: 08 August 1985
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NY 21 NWABOVE DERWENT15/2Newlands Church andformer School3.3.67(formerly listed

NY 21 NW ABOVE DERWENT 15/2 Newlands Church and former School 3.3.67 (formerly listed separately) II Parish church and former school, now meeting room. Church rebuilt in 1843 on earlier site; school dated 1877. Painted roughcast walls under graduated greenslate roof. 3-bay nave/chancel with south stone porch and west twin bellcote. Single-storey 2-bay former school adjoins west end. Nave has gabled porch and tall round-headed windows. School has casement windows in plain reveals. Rear extension has casement windows with glazing bars and rounded bars in heads. School has wall plaque inscribed NEWLANDS SCHOOL BUILT BY THE PARISHIONERS 1877, CLOSED 1967 THIS STONE WAS PLACED HERE IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF DOROTHEA POTTS HEADMISTRESS 1943-1963. Interior of church has gallery over vestibule and vestry, giving access to both school and church. Royal Arms of George II dated 1737. C17 pulpit and lecturn. Wainscoating is of reused C17 panelling. Stained glass window as First World War memorial. Late C19 furnishings and fittings.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.