You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 73638  

Print Page



© Mr Edward Thomas

IoE Number: 73638
Location: ST ANNE'S HOSPITAL CHAPEL AT ST ANNE'S HOSPITAL, 7-13 BOROUGHGATE (east side)
  APPLEBY IN WESTMORLAND, EDEN, CUMBRIA
Photographer: Mr Edward Thomas
Date Photographed: 18 September 2000
Date listed: 06 June 1951
Date of last amendment: 21 March 1985
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NY 6820 APPLEBY IN WESTMORLAND C.P. BOROUGHGATE (East Side) 1/65 Nos. 1 - 5 (consec.) Nos. 7 -13 (consec.) St. Anne's Hospital Chapel at St. Anne's Hospital. (Formerly listed as St. Anne's Hospital) 6.6.51 GV II* C17 stone rubble cottages with later alterations. Main front has a central chamfered segmental-headed archway above which is a panel and brass plate with Clifford arms and inscription "This Almes House was founded and begun to be built in the year 1651, and was finished and endowed for the yearlymaintenance of a Mother, a Reader, and twelve sisters for ever in 1653 by Anne Baronesse Clifford, Cumberland and Vesey, Lady of the Hon. of Skipton in Craven, and Countesse Dowager of Pembroke, Dorsett and Montgomery". Each cottage has one window each floor all of two lights with flat stone mullions. Some doors with four-centred arched heads under a square chamfer. Stone chimneys. Chapel of same size, in corner between Nos. 4 and 5, with painted texts on inner walls. Cottages built round four sides of cobbled courtyard. No. 6 has been demolished.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.