You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 74279  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 74279
Location: SALKELD HALL,
  HUNSONBY, EDEN, CUMBRIA
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 27 December 1967
Date of last amendment: 27 December 1967
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NY 53 NE HUNSONBYLITTLE SALKELD6/75Salkeld Hall27.12.67

NY 53 NE HUNSONBY LITTLE SALKELD 6/75 Salkeld Hall 27.12.67 GV II* Country house. Late C16 incorporating earlier walls with C17 additions;c.1790 facade for the Lacy family; 1836 and 1870s additions. Coursed red sandstone rubble, the older parts with rebuilt flush quoins, the Georgian parts with V-jointed sandstone quoins and eaves cornice, on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roofs with banded red sandstone chimney stacks. Georgian front 2 storeys, 5 bays with flanking single-storey, 2-bay wings. Behind the wings: at left the earliest part of the house, probably C14, 3 storeys, 2 bays at right-angles to front and with rear C18 single-bay extension. Behind the right wing is a right-angled part of the C16 extension of 3 storeys, 3 bays. Behind the front as part of its double span is the C16 house of 3 storeys, 4 bays. Facade has central doorway, with stone architrave under pediment.now holding a casement window with intersecting-glazing-bar head. Sash windows with glazing bars in raised sandstone surrounds. Similar windows in wings. Right round-headed C19 doorway on left return. Old wall large sandstone blocks with one small medieval window, otherwise double and single sashes with glazing bars. On right return C20 sliding glass French window. Older part of wall, with rebuilt quoins, has 2-light chamfered stone-mullioned windows under hoodmoulds, those on first floor transomed. Right ground-floor window a blocked doorway, and left window enlarged, but both in keeping with the other windows. Rear has right projecting late C18 pedimented extension with round-headed windows and Venetian end windows. Central projecting battlemented 2-storey C19 porch with panelled door. Most of the original 2- and 3-light stone-mullioned windows have been blocked but appear to be late C16; 2 small chamfered-surround windows of the same date on 2nd floor. Single and double sash windows, all with glazing bars. Right doorway within gabled stone porch. Interior was extensively altered in 1790s. Panelled doors and plaster ceilings with moulded cornices. Panelled shutters to each window. Internally divided into a number of holiday flats. See Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, lvi, p,167.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.