You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 77952  

Print Page



© Mr Julian Foley

IoE Number: 77952
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS,
  SCALEBY, CARLISLE, CUMBRIA
Photographer: Mr Julian Foley
Date Photographed: 08 September 2002
Date listed: 01 April 1957
Date of last amendment: 01 April 1957
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NY 46 SWSCALEBYSCALEBY8/160Church of All Saints1.4.57

NY 46 SW SCALEBY SCALEBY 8/160 Church of All Saints 1.4.57 G.V. II Church. Probably early C13 with tower of early C14 and restorations of 1827-28 and 1860-62. Large blocks of dressed red sandstone, probably from the nearby Roman Wall; graduated green slate roof with coped gables and cross finial. 3 storey square west tower, 5 bay nave/chancel. Fortified tower has walls 1.3 metres thick, with slit windows and chamfered plinth, rebuilt above string course before 1790, with battlemented parapet of 1827 and corner pinnacles of 1828: square bell chamber openings, existed before 1790. Nave/chancel has buttressed walls with pointed lancets. Recessed C19 east window, suggests an infilled arch of the demolished chancel. C19 porch and vestry cover original north and south entrances: porch has stone slate roof with coped gable and cross finials: original entrance has round arch with 2 continuous chamfers and hood mould projecting to either side of porch. Interior: C19 vaulted pine ceiling. C19 pews have panels of carved Gothic tracery with lectern and pulpit of similar details. White marble wall plaques to members of the Fawcett and Farrer families of Scaleby Castle and Scaleby Hall, all early C19. 3 early C20 stained glass windows. Bowl and stem font is dated 1707 with inscription MH, NB, WB, CG, CHURCH WARDENS. Free standing inscribed Roman Altar, probably from Birdoswald, has been reused in C14 with carvings on back and side of clerics (heads missing). Interior of round arch east entrance to tower has draw-bar hole. There is a bench mark on the south-west corner of the tower. See, Mrs J Palmer, Guide Book to All Saints Church Scaleby, 1972.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.