You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 78783  

Print Page



© Mr P. J. Nicholson

IoE Number: 78783
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET (south side)
  DENBY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Photographer: Mr P. J. Nicholson
Date Photographed: 12 June 2007
Date listed: 13 February 1967
Date of last amendment: 13 February 1967
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 34 NE PARISH OF DENBY CHURCH STREET1/5(South Side) 313.2.67Church of St MaryGVI

SK 34 NE PARISH OF DENBY CHURCH STREET 1/5 (South Side) 3 13.2.67 Church of St Mary GV I Parish church. Early C13, C14, early C15 and late C15 with alterations in 1838 and restoration in 1901-3 by J Oldrid Scott. Brown rubble sandstone and grey ashlar sandstone with sandstone dressings. Leaded and plain tile roofs with embattled parapets with ridgeback copings to nave and aisles. Plinth, with moulded copings to tower and coved eaves band to nave and nave aisles. Western tower with recessed broached spire, clerestoried nave with south aisle and two storey north aisle, chancel and south porch. Three stage C14 ashlar west tower has full height stepped angle buttresses to all corners and reduces slightly at each stage with a chamfered stringcourse at each level. West elevation has a pointed 2-light window with C19 reticulated tracery and original hoodmould. Above, in second stage is a blocked, elaborately moulded, ogee headed opening with carved head labelstops and foliage finial to hoodmould. North and south elevations have trefoil headed lancets with hoodmoulds. Above again to all sides, are 2-light pointed, louvred bell openings with reticulated tracery and hoodmoulds. Projecting parapets above have frieze of blind cusping to top and small gargoyles to corners, also a domed cupola to top of the staircase within the parapets to the north-west corner. Octagonal spire above has gableted lucarnes with trefoil headed lancets on four sides, near base and top. North nave aisle has rubble stonework to base and ashlar above. To either end, it has diagonal buttresses and between it has two further buttresses to sides of windows. Ground floor has one, probably C19, C17-style 2-light recessed mullion window and two early C15 flat headed 2-light windows with cusped lights, pierced spandrels and returned hoodmoulds. Above, three 2-light windows with four-centred arched lights, 1838 copies of south clerestory windows. East window of aisle is C14, 2-light with reticulated tracery and hoodmould over. Similar but taller window to east in chancel and beyond a blocked pointed doorcase. East chancel elevation has diagonal buttress either side of central 4-light pointed window with 1901 flowing tracery and chamfered sill band below. South chancel elevation has two C14 windows with central stepped buttress, western window elongated and tracery in both windows probably of 1901. Adjacent to buttress is a small pointed doorcase. South nave aisle has flat headed 2-light C15 window with cusped lights, pierced spandrels and returned hoodmould to east and two similar windows to south elevation to east of porch, also a c1901 copy beyond porch to west. South porch is an addition, probably of late C15 and has a lapped stone roof over a pointed vault with stone coped gable, gableted to top with stone cross. To each side it has central stepped buttresses with tiny 2-light mullion windows to north, whilst front elevation has a double chamfered arched door. The inner door which is out of alignment with the porch is a single chamfered arch. Above, the clerestory has three late C15 3-light windows with four-centred arched lights and incised spandrels. Interior of church has two bay south arcade with early C13 double chamfered semi-circular headed arches and semi- circular responds with moulded capitals and bases. North aisle has a panelled wooden gallery on cast iron columns with splat baluster staircase to north-west corner, added in 1838. Tower has tall double chamfered arch,chancel arch similar except wider and with inner arch resting on polygonal responds with moulded capitals. Well restored late C15 nave roof with central painted bosses to the cambered ties. Chancel roof has a C19 pointed timber vault with ribs. In the chancel is a fine C14 double sedilla with moulded ogee arches, topped by flame finials and an attached piscina in similar style to east side. North nave aisle also has a small trefoil headed piscina to east end. Choir stalls and reredos are C19 whilst nave pews and pulpit look contemporary with restoration. To north side of chancel is an impressive architectural, early C17 alabaster monument to Patrick Lowe, who died 1616, with cartouches between decorated panels to base, central fluted column above, flanked by elaborately decorated columns with bulbous bases, and ornate cornice topped to corners by steeple finials. Large central achievement in strapwork surround to top and below, in the two niches, are the outward facing, kneeling figures of Patrick Lowe and wife, with the figures of their children in relief behind. A substantial amount of paint is still evident. There are also several other Lowe memorials in the chancel mostly in black slate with white marble. These include one of c1785, one of c1827 and other later one of c1887. Similar memorial of c1844 to Mary Holden in chancel and several other similar late Cl9 ones in the nave aisles. The font in the south aisle is C15 and looks like part of a re-used pier. Various stained glass windows, the main one in the east window by Warrington and Co of c1889. Eastern window to south side of chancel is by Florence Camm of Smethwick dated 1942, whilst the western windows on both sides of chancel are late C19. North aisle has east window by Christopher Webb, dated 1961 and two side windows of c1900 and c1922. South aisle has two late C19 stained glass windows and one of 1950 signed GW. Fragments of medieval glass have been placed in one of the north gallery windows. In the tower to south wall there is a lead plaque inscribed 'RE PE CW 1719'.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.