© Mr Peter Holt FRPS BPE2*
CHURCH OF ST ALKMUND, MAKENEY ROAD (south side)
DUFFIELD, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Mr Peter Holt FRPS BPE2*
03 July 2001
13 February 1967
Date of last amendment:
13 February 1967
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SK 34 SW PARISH OF DUFFIELD MAKENEY ROAD
3/16 (South Side)
13.2.67 Church of St Alkmund
Parish Church. Early C14, C15, C17, restoration 1847 by J P St Aubyn
and 1896-7 by J O Scott. Coursed squared sandstone with sandstone
dressings. Welsh slate and felted roofs, stone coped gables. West
steeple, nave with aisles, outer south aisle chapel, south porch,
north transept, chancel and north vestry. Early C14 tower of three
stages, four to west, divided by chamfered stringcourses. Angle
buttresses with five set-offs, with pilaster strips linking them to
the battlemented parapet. The north and south sides have a trefoiled
lancet to the middle stage,clock face above, and 2-light bell-openings
with cusped Y-tracery. The west side has a doorway with roll moulding
and hoodmould, a 2-light window above almost round-arched, with cusped
ogee tracery, and then as the north and south sides. The east side has
similar bell-openings. Recessed octagonal stone spire. Weather cock,
1719 by Robert Bakewell. The south aisle east and west windows are
Dec style of 1847, when the roof was given its steep pitch. Shallow
gabled south porch with plain parapet. Double chamfered doorway with
moulded capitals and chamfered hoodmould. Single rectangular window
to west, 2-light chamfered mullion window to east. Diagonal buttresses.
To the right a C19 3-light window with flat head and cusped ogee lights.
Projecting shallow gabled south chapel, 1896 by Scott. Parapet with
frieze of wavy decoration. Dec style windows. The chancel has three
2-light windows with cusped ogee tracery under flat arches. Low, single
chamfered priest's door. Two tall buttresses. 5-light Perp east
window with panel tracery. Gabled north vestry with tall chimney.
Doorway with Caernarvon arch and a pair of trefoiled lancets to east.
North aisle east window of three stepped lancets. Between the vestry
and the north transept a window of two lancets with a trefoil above.
North transept has to east a window with Y-tracery, to north a window
of three stepped lancets and to west a 2-light Dec window. North
aisle with steeply pitched roof, raised in 1847. To the north are two
3-light windows of cusped ogee lights under a flat arch. Doorway
with wave moulding. West window with Dec style tracery. Interior:
Three bay north and south arcades, octagonal piers and abaci, double
chamfered arches, those to north with round arches. Treble stepped
tower arch, keeled responds with stiff leaf capitals. Double chamfered
chancel arch, the inner order dies into the imposts, the outer order
has nook shafts to the west. Single chamfered arch to north east chapel,
double chamfered arch to north chapel. Perp style two-bay arcade to
south chapel with castellated capitals. Low pitched nave roof with
tie beams on corbels. Scissor braced aisle roofs of 1847. Panelled
roof with foliage bosses in south chapel. Barrel vaulted panelled
roof in the vestry. Monuments: Three C18 wall tablets in the south
aisle and another in the north aisle. In the north chapel an unusual
monument to Anthony Bradshaw, died 1614, the monument set up in 1600.
A frieze divides the substructure with rusticated pillars and inscription
tablets from the superstructure also with rusticated pillars. On top
are inscription plate and obelisks and achievement. On the frieze
incised demi-figures of husband in the middle, two wives at the outer
corners, and twenty children between, four sons on the left of the
father and sixteen daughters in two tiers to the right. All the figures
have their initials to the left and right of their heads. In the north
east chapel a monument to Sir Roger Mynors, died 1539, and his wife.
Alabaster effigies on a tomb chest with saints in round-arched cusped
panels. A number of C18 and C19 tablets in the chancel. Low ogee
tomb recess to chancel north. Chancel furnishings, panelling, reredos,
choir stalls, rood screen, all by Scott, as are the chapel screens
and the pulpit. Stained glass in the chancel windows, may be by Kempe.
Panelled octagonal font, possible C17.