© Mr Thomas Bates
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE (south side)
KIRK LANGLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Mr Thomas Bates
26 October 2000
13 February 1967
Date of last amendment:
13 February 1967
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SK 23 NE PARISH OF KIRK LANGLEY CHURCH LANE
5/70 (South Side)
13.2.67 Church of St Michael
Parish church. Early C14, late C14, C16, restoration 1839 and 1885
by Bodley and Garner. Coursed squared sandstone, sandstone ashlar,
with sandstone dressings. Lead and plain tile roofs, stone coped
gables. West tower, aisled nave, south vestry and chancel. West
tower of two stages divided by a chamfered stringcourse. Angle
buttresses linked to the battlemented parapet by pilaster strips.
Chamfered plinth. South side has a single lancet with triangular
head, to the west side a C19 doorway and a 2-light Dec window above
with cusped ogee lights and hoodmould with head stops. The north
side has a small lancet as on the south side and a clock face below.
2-light bell openings, early C14, with a transom, on all four sides.
The north aisle has a C19 lancet in the west wall. Diagonal buttresses.
On the north. side are five windows with Y-tracery, the second
from the west is C19, replacing a doorway visible from within. A
buttress after the third window. Clerestory of three plain 2-light.
chamfered mullion windows under flat heads. Aedicule wall tablet
with fluted half columns, to George Hodgkinson, died 1804. 3-light
east window with bar tracery. The north side of the chancel has
a C19 window with Y-tracery, a buttress, a window with Y-tracery,
priest's doorway with roll moulding and hoodmould, a C19 lancet
and a blocked doorway with a slate headstone set in. C19 east window
of 4-lights with bar tracery. Blind quatrefoil above. The south
side of the chancel has three windows with Y-tracery, the outer
ones larger and C19. South aisle east window of three Tudor-arched
lights with a transom and the remains of a hoodmould with head-
stops relating to an earlier window. The south side has a 2-light
window with a reticulation unit, and beyond the vestry two more,
probably C19, windows with Y-tracery. The west window of two Tudor-
arched lights within a square hood. Gabled vestry in battlemented
Tudor-style, according to a faculty,built in 1889. Cusped 3-light
window to south under a Tudor arch. 2-light window to east and
a doorway to west. Octagonal chimney stack at the south east corner.
The vestry and south aisle have diagonal buttresses. Clerestory
as on the north side. Interior: Three bay arcades with octagonal
piers and abaci, and double chamfered arches. Double chamfered
tower arch, the inner order on corbels. Double chamfered chancel
arch with semi-octagonal responds and moulded capitals. In the
chancel, triple sedilia and piscina. C19 aumbry. Carved alabaster
reredos with angels under crocketed gables. Squints on either side
from the aisles. Monuments: Godfrey Meynell (chancel north) died
1854, A Gothic aedicule. Plain C17 and C18 inscribed tablets built
into the north wall and one free-standing on the south side. One
has a brass plate dated 1705. In the north chapel an incised slab
to Alice Beresford, died 1511. In the south aisle, a tomb chest
to Henry Role and wife, died 1559. Tablet to Charles Wilmot, died
1724, with scrolled pediment. Various C19 tablets, some signed
by Hall of Derby. C19 parclose screen in south aisle, also in north
aisle, incorporating medieval work. Rood screen by Bodley & Garner.
Brass eagle of c1884. Plain octagonal fort on a C19 base.
C17 font cover. Choir stalls and organ case probably by Bodley
& Garner. C18 communion rail. Flemish stained glass dated 1631,
in the south aisle east window. Possibly C14 tower screen with
simple geometrical tracery, moved from the chancel.