You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 79522  

Print Page



© Mr John Clarke ARPS

IoE Number: 79522
Location: THE DCC LIBRARY, HIGH STREET (south side)
  DRONFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Clarke ARPS
Date Photographed: 29 August 1999
Date listed: 09 January 1967
Date of last amendment: 07 July 1989
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

PARISH OF DRONFIELDHIGH STREETSK 37 NW - SK 37 NE5/42 - 6/42(South Side)The DCC Library9.1.67(formerly listed as

PARISH OF DRONFIELD HIGH STREET SK 37 NW - SK 37 NE 5/42 - 6/42 (South Side) The DCC Library 9.1.67 (formerly listed as The Manor House) GV II County Council Library, formerly the Manor House. c1700, with later alterations and additions; converted to library and offices 1967. Coursed squared coal measures sandstone with ashlar dressings, rising from a shallow chamfered plinth. Moulded eaves cornice with bold brackets, and a hipped slated roof. Two storeys and basement, seven bays 3-1-3, with advanced entrance porch of two storeys, the doorway having a semi- circular headed moulded surround, impost blocks and keyblock with flanking pilasters and a flattened pulvinated entablature enclosing the opening. Window openings, formerly 2-light flush mullions with transoms, now with glazing bar sashes, four x four panes, set in old stone surrounds. Moulded stringcourse to the heads of the ground floor windows. The entrance is approached by semi-circular steps. The rear and north elevations retain mullioned and transomed openings. Interior, much altered, but retaining C17 square oak panelling, and C17 oak turned baluster stair with ball finials to posts and a moulded handrail. The house was built for Ralph Burton, Lord of the Manor, whose father Francis purchased the earlier house from Lionel Fanshawe, 1674. The house passed to the Rossington family, who sold it to John Rotherham in 1750. Inherited 1295 by Joseph Cecil. Sold to the local authority in the 1930s. Source: The Derbyshire Country House, Vol II. Craven and Maxwell.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.