You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 80643  

Print Page



© Mr David H Schofield LRPS

IoE Number: 80643
Location: EYAM HALL, CHURCH STREET (north side)
  EYAM, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Photographer: Mr David H Schofield LRPS
Date Photographed: 22 September 2001
Date listed: 29 September 1951
Date of last amendment: 12 October 1984
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 21 76PARISH OF EYAMCHURCH STREET6/35(North Side)29-9-51Eyam Hall (formerly listedas 'The Hall')GVII*

SK 21 76 PARISH OF EYAM CHURCH STREET 6/35 (North Side) 29-9-51 Eyam Hall (formerly listed as 'The Hall') GV II* Small country house. Early C17, 1676 with sympathetic C19 repairs, Gritstone ashlar with rendered western bay, gritstone dressings and quoins. Stone slate roofs with stone gable end and ridge stacks Moulded stone copings to parapets and parapet gables. Western bay has moulded copings and kneelers to west gable. Continuous moulded stringcourses, forming hoodmoulds over ground and first floor windows. Projecting stone rainwater overshoots to east and west elevations. Three storeys with two storey western bay, four bays with set back western bay. H-plan applied to earlier house, two bays recessed to centre with single bay projecting wings to sides. Central classical doorcase with plain pilasters and raised keystone. To either side, 3-light recessed and chamfered mullion windows and beyond, in advanced bays to east and west, similar 4-light windows. Also similar 2-light windows in each angle. Above, similar windows in same arrangement. Above again, two 3-light recessed and chamfered mullion window with hoods to central section and similar single windows in advanced bays. In the angles to either side are square section lead gutters with decorated hopper heads, that to west inscribed 'WIE 1676'. To centre of advanced bays and central section are small parapet gables. C18 leaded lights to ground and first floor windows with C17 diamond leaded lights to windows on second floor. To west, set back bay has 4-light recessed and chamfered mullion window below with similar 3-light window above. Three bay eastern facade has 3-light recessed and chamfered mullion window to south and two similar 4-light windows to north. Above, in next two storeys, similar windows in same arrangement. Three parapet gables over with projecting rainwater overshoots between. Rear elevation has gabled staircase turret, now engulfed by 1676 addition, with pairs of 2-light recessed and chamfered mullion windows, western ones all now blocked. Rear of western bay has projecting semi-circular bread oven. Interior has flagged hall and impressive early C17 dogleg staircase through three floors with turned balusters, wide moulded handrail, ball finials and pierced pendents. Original panelling to east room with later semi-circular headed corner cupboard.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.