You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 81314  

Print Page



© Mr John Lewis

IoE Number: 81314
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD (north side)
  SNELSTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Lewis
Date Photographed: 17 April 2007
Date listed: 13 September 1967
Date of last amendment: 13 September 1967
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 14 SEPARISH OF SNELSTONCHURCH ROAD2/84(North Side)13.9.67Church of St PeterGVII*

SK 14 SE PARISH OF SNELSTON CHURCH ROAD 2/84 (North Side) 13.9.67 Church of St Peter GV II* Parish church. Early C15, rebuilt except for tower in 1825 and with major alterations in 1907 by Hodgson Fowler. Sandstone ashlar, and slate roof with stone coped gables, topped by ridge crosses. Deep plinth all round building with moulded copings to tower, chamfered top elsewhere. Nave with north aisle and slightly lower chancel with north vestry and chapel, two stage tower to west end of north nave aisle. Gabled west elevation of nave has central deeply moulded four-centred arched doorcase with crocketed ogee head and stepped C14 style crocketed side pilasters. Above figure of saint in crocketed gabled niche with crocketed side pilasters, and above again, a rose window in chamfered surround. Recessed to north is C15 tower which has full height stepped diagonal buttresses to northern corners, and to west a 2-light four-centred arched mullioned window with pointed lights, set in deep chamfered surround and with hoodmould over, with carved labelstops. Above is a clockface, similar clockface to east side. Above again, four- centred arched Y-traceried louvred bell openings, set in chamfered surround with hood- mould over with finely carved labelstops. Similar bell openings to other sides. Moulded stringcourse over and embattled parapets with ridgeback copings, crocketed corner pinnacles and corner gargoyles. North elevation has small pointed window to base of tower and bell opening above. Beyond to east,nave aisle with flat headed 3-light north window, set in cavetto moulded recess, with trefoil headed lights and incised spandrels. Projecting bay beyond to east with four-centred arched cavetto moulded doorcase with flat hood to west and flat headed 3-light window with pointed lights and incised spandrels to east side. North chapel to east has flat headed cusped 2-light panel tracery window and beyond north vestry has ogee headed doorcase to north and adjoining cusped pair of lancets to east elevation. East window is 3-light with reticulated tracery and hoodmould. South chancel elevation has one single light and one 2-light flat headed cusped ogee traceried window with pierced spandrels, that to west 2-light. Nave elevation to east has stepped buttress to east corner, and to west three 3-light flat headed windows with trefoil headed lights and pierced spandrels, linked by continuous hoodmould. To west, two shallower flat headed 2-light windows with pointed lights and pierced spandrels, one above the other. All openings to nave and south elevation of chancel of 1907. Interior has three bay C19 north arcade with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double cavetto moulded arches, to west end of which is the base of the tower with tall double chamfered arches to east and south side. Chancel arch also has double chamfered arch, with soffit supported by two moulded corbels. North chapel has continuous moulded pointed western arch and a chamfered flat arch through to the chancel. All roofs date from 1907 and all but north chapel roof are barrel vaulted Both the north chapel and the chancel roofs have additional ribs and carved bosses, and are painted. Chapel and chancel also both have carved wooden screens to west and in the arch between. Chancel is completely painted with carved oak reredos and panelling to east, plain choir stalls with fleur de lys poppyheads and carved pulpit to south. West end of church has wooden organ gallery with screened entrance lobby below. Gallery has painted coats of arms to east side. To north, tower has small four-centred arched doorcase to stair turret in north-west corner and to centre a circular C13 font on C19 base,covered by C19 or early C20 weighted font cover. Plain C20 nave pews. Wall memorials mostly early C19 of slate with white marble surrounds, but there are also two brass memorials with green marble surrounds to the Harrisons of Snelston Hall, and one white marble one of 1699 to Sara, daughter of Robert Docksey, wife of Francisci Evans. Tower also has brass charity plaque of 1805 inscribed with 'Bolds Annual Donations'. West tower window with stained glass by W Tower, east window has similar style stained glass. North chapel window of 1949 by Nuttgens.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.