© Mr Thomas Bates
FOREMARK HALL, MILTON ROAD (south off)
FOREMARK, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Mr Thomas Bates
13 October 2000
02 September 1952
Date of last amendment:
02 September 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
PARISH OF FOREMARK OFF MILTON ROAD
SK 32 NW
3/35 (South Side)
2.9.52 Foremark Hall
Country house, now a school. Early C18, extensively altered and
enlarged in 1759-61 by David Hiorns. The contractor was
probably Joseph Pickford. Built for the Burdette family.
Palladian Style. Sandstone ashlar. Hipped Welsh slate roofs
and octagonal lead domes. Four lateral and four ridge stacks.
Rusticated basement, piano nobile, attic storey and roof attics.
Dentil cornice and balustraded parapet. North elevation of
3-7-3 bays. Giant portico of four unfluted Ionic columns.
Double returned balustraded staircases lead up to the main
entrance. The podium has a central round-arched entrance to the
basement, flanked by similar blind arches. Behind the
staircases the basement has two glazing bar sashes on each side.
The main entrance has a pedimented eared architrave and glazed
doube doors. Flanked on each side by glazing bar sashes in
pedimented architraves. Flanked in turn by two glazing bar
sashes in eared architraves. Seven smaller glazing bar sashes
above in eared architraves. Four roof dormers above. Canted
bays on each side are domed and advanced, with three tiers of
glazing bar sashes. Small casement windows above the cornice.
South elevation of 3-2-3-2-3 bays, the three bay parts advanced.
Dentilled pediment to centre three bays. Outer canted bays as
on the north front. Rusticated basement. Central podium with
curved double returned staircase. Central round arched doorway
flanked by lunette windows set in blind round-arched openings.
Two glazing bar sashes on each side. The piano nobile has a
central pedimented Corinthian doorcase with raised and fielded
panelled doors. Flanked on each side by three glazing bar
sashes in moulded architraves. Seven smaller glazing bar sashes
above in moulded architraves. Roof attic windows as on the
north front. Both north and south fronts have similar curved
wing walls with round-arched niches either side of a pedimented
and rusticated round-arched doorway. These are linked to four
small single storey pavilions, square in plan with shallow
hipped Welsh slate roofs. Each front has the centre bay
advanced and pedimented. Doorways, Glazing bar sashes and blind
round-arched niches. Half H-plan service wing attached to east
by Doric colonnade. South elevation of 1-3-1 bays;, the centre
part advanced and pedimented. The ground floor has a central
doorway with C20 doors, flanked on each side by two glazing bar
sashes. Five C20 casements above. East elevation of 2-6-2
bays, the end pairs projecting, mostly with sashes. Five bay
north elevation with two tiers of glazing bar sashes;. Interior:
Entrance hall the full depth of the house, the end bays defined
by two composite columns. Moulded cornice. Pair of early to
mid C18 stone chimneypieces. Late C18 plasterwork and
round-arched niches with Corinthian pilasters and early C19
gothick glazed doors. Four doorways on the side walls have
moulded eared architraves of early to mid Cl8 character.
Doorways at each end with carved friezes and bracketed cornices.
The rooms to the east have dentil cornices and a variety of
chimneypieces. The north east room has a re-used chimneypiece
of c1730 with eared surround, carved overmantle and broken
pediment. The south east room has later C18 plasterwork and
chimneypieces. Staircase hall to the west, has an open string
staircase around a square well. Carved tread ends and three
knopped turned balusters per tread. Fluted newels, wreathed and
ramped handrail. The upper landing has a four-bay round-arched
arcade. The drawing room fills the west side of the house and
has elegant later C18 style plasterwork and two chimneypieces.
Unequally divided by a pair of fluted composite columns. The
upper rooms have moulded cornices, dado rails, plain eared
architraves and a variety of chimneypieces. The basement has a
central vaulted corridor running west to west; rooms off with
groin vaults supported by Tuscan Doric columns.