You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 82994  

Print Page



© Mr Nigel Ward LRPS

IoE Number: 82994
Location: ASTON HALL, SHARDLOW ROAD (south side)
  ASTON UPON TRENT, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Nigel Ward LRPS
Date Photographed: 02 March 2001
Date listed: 10 November 1967
Date of last amendment: 10 November 1967
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 42 NWPARISH OF ASTON-UPON-TRENT SHARDLOW ROAD4/9(South Side)10.11.67Aston HallGVII*

SK 42 NW PARISH OF ASTON-UPON-TRENT SHARDLOW ROAD 4/9 (South Side) 10.11.67 Aston Hall GV II* Small country house, now part of hospital. 1735, built for Robert Holden, with early C19 alterations and with large early C19 addition which was in turn altered in 1907 by Edward Holden, also with minor C20 additions and alterations. Painted red brick with hipped plain tile roofs and rendered side wall and ridge stacks. Early C18 part has gauged brick and stone dressings, stone plinth, stone plain first floor band and similar band at first floor sill level, also with moulded stone cornice and low parapets. Later part has brick or painted stone dressings, brick first and second floor bands, dentilled eaves to east and north and wide bracketed eaves to west front. Irregular plan. Early C18 house, five bays by three bays and three storeys, the remainder three storeys plus attics. East front of early C18 house has slightly advanced central bay. Ground floor has large C19 bays with full height; pilastered tripartite openings plus sashes to either side of projecting, glazed conservatory. Above, central bay has an early C18 moulded Venetian window with glazing bar sashes and to either side there are pairs of glazing bar sashes below flat gauged brick arches with stone keyblocks. Similar smaller windows over to sides and a central glazing bar sash in moulded stone surround with corniced keystone flanked by smaller sashes in raised surrounds with keystones. Attached to north is a recessed early C19 four bay wing with later additions all along the ground floor and glazing bar sashes below rusticated wedge lintels to first and second floors, also with three later roof dormers. North elevation has segment headed windows to ground and first floors, and flat headed 2-light windows above. West elevation of early C18 house similar to eastern one except for a central Ionic columned porch flanked by pairs of glazing bar sashes below gauged brick arches with stone keyblocks, to ground floor. Projecting additions to north have two storey c1907 bay windows with leaded cross windows and bracketed cornices. Interior has numerous early C18 features including early C18 panelling with carved overdoors in the hall, bolection moulded fireplaces and two original staircases. The main staircase has knopped balusters with tapering columns, on vases with twisted fluting, also a ramped moulded handrail with large wreath to base and elaboratley carved cheekpieces. Dado panelling with fluted pilasters on opposite wall. Back staircase has simple knopped tapering column balusters, and ramped handrail. Most original early C18 six panelled doors survive and attics have three rooms with C17 panelling. First floor has central room with early C18 panelling and cornice, and southern room with good early C19 Adam style ceiling. Two similar early C19 plasterwork ceilings in north-west range and two good early C19 Adam style fireplaces, also two C18 fireplaces of coloured marble with attached columns. Three C17 style overmantles, made up of assorted C17 pieces of carving and good quality early C20 fittings in remodelled wing.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.