You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 85404  

Print Page



© Mr Keith Mackenzie LRPS

IoE Number: 85404
Location: RANGE OF CELLARS SOUTH OF THE CLAY CELLARS OCCUPIED BY A J AUTOBODIES, NEWTON ROAD
  KINGSTEIGNTON, TEIGNBRIDGE, DEVON
Photographer: Mr Keith Mackenzie LRPS
Date Photographed: 28 January 2003
Date listed: 28 April 1987
Date of last amendment: 28 April 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

KINGSTEIGNTONNEWTON ROAD, KingsteigntonSX 87 SE5/146Range of cellars south of the claycellars occupied by A J AutobodiesLtd

KINGSTEIGNTON NEWTON ROAD, Kingsteignton SX 87 SE 5/146 Range of cellars south of the clay cellars occupied by A J Autobodies Ltd GV II Range of clay cellars in use as light industrial workshops. Circa 1843, the westernmost cellar probably later. Local grey limestone rubble with corrugated iron and asbestos roofs, the westernmost cellar local yellow brick. One of 2 ranges of clay cellars on the wharves of the Hackney Canal: the canal has been filled in between the ranges. The cellars were used to store the locally- quarried ball clay which was then transported to Teignmouth for shipment via the canal and the River Teign. The cellars were designed with massively thick walls to withstand the weight of the clay and doorways on to the wharf and larger loading doorways at the rear. Single-storey. The cellars adjoin one another and have pronouncedly battered walls, the westernmost cellar is brick with external buttresses. The doorways facing the canal have timber lintels and stone relieving arches. Interior : 1 cellar inspected : king post and strut roof, boarded behind. Ball clay was used for pottery and is found in Dorset, North Devon and South Devon. In the late C18 the Stover Canal was built through the Bovey Basin for transporting ball clay and in 1841-3 Lord Clifford of Ugbrooke Park instructed his agent, Henry Knight to cut the Hackney Canal, including a tidal lock, for the transport of ball clay on the Clifford Estate : the storage cellars appear to date from this period. Although simple buildings the cellars are an important survival of the industrial archaeology of the industry which still thrives in the area. Rolt, L T C The Potters Field (1974).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.