You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 85722  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Funnell

IoE Number: 85722
Location: CHAPEL OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST,
  BISHOPSTEIGNTON, TEIGNBRIDGE, DEVON
Photographer: Mr Peter Funnell
Date Photographed: 11 February 2003
Date listed: 02 December 1988
Date of last amendment: 02 December 1988
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BISHOPSTEIGNTONLUTONSX 97 NW8/59Chapel of St John the Evangelist

BISHOPSTEIGNTON LUTON SX 97 NW 8/59 Chapel of St John the Evangelist - GV II Chapel of ease to Bishopsteignton parish church. Plans by an amateur architect, William Tozer of Teignmouth, drawnup in 1852. Grey limestone rubble with Bathstone dressings ; steep red tiled roof with sprocketted eaves. Plan: A small chapel sited in farm land just outside the village of Luton. Nave with west end bellcote, chancel, south porch, small lean-to north-east vestry. Some Decorated, some Perpendicular details. Exterior: Chancel with platband below the east window, returning on both north and south sides. 3-light Decorated east window with carved label stops ; cusped triangular window on south side ; small lean-to north east vestry with a stone stack with truncated shaft. Buttressed nave with angle buttresses at the west and 3-light square-headed cusped windows, two to the north side, one to the south side. Gabled west end bellcote with 2 small slit windows with a heavy hoodmould, 2-light Decorated west window central west end buttress. Pretty gabled south porch, the side walls with open, trefoil-headed timber arcading on low stone walls. Interior: Modest. Plastered walls, brick rere arches to windows and door ; double- chamfered chancel arch ; collar rafter nave roof with straight struts below the collar ; boarded canted wagon to chancel with roll-moulded ribs and a pretty painted scheme of stencilling and roundels dating from 1884, commemorating Revd. W.P. Ogle : co-eval diaper designs on the walls have been removed. The chancel has a simple tile pattern on the floor, a probably early C20 timber nowy-headed reredos and a plain 1852 communion rail. The sill of the south window is brought down as a recessed seat with a chamfered arch ; vestry door with cranked lintel on north side ; heavy string course rises as a hoodmould to the vestry door and south side seat. Plain nave with openwork timber drum pulpit ; font with deep octagonal bowl and clustered marble shafts to the stem on a moulded plinth. Benches, some designated "Free" with Y- shaped ends. Memorials and Glass Brass plaque in chancel commemorating Revd. W.P. Ogle, died 1884. East window, circa 1880s, probably by Drake of Exeter ; quarry and border west window "removed from the mother church" (inscription), in 1886. Devon Nineteenth Century Churches Project.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.