You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 88410  

Print Page



© Mr Robert Vickery

IoE Number: 88410
Location: KILLERTON HOUSE AND HA HA APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES IN FRONT OF ENTRANCE,
  BROAD CLYST, EAST DEVON, DEVON
Photographer: Mr Robert Vickery
Date Photographed: 09 September 2003
Date listed: 11 November 1952
Date of last amendment: 11 November 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SS 90 SEBROADCLYSTKILLERTON PARK2/97Killerton House and Ha-Ha-approximately 20 metres11.11.52in front of Entrance

SS 90 SE BROADCLYST KILLERTON PARK 2/97 Killerton House and Ha-Ha - approximately 20 metres 11.11.52 in front of Entrance - II* Country House. 1680 datestone only survives of early house of the Aclands. Present main block 1778 John Johnson as 'a temporary residence' for Sir Thomas Acland. Enlarged 1830, internal refurbishments 1900 by Prothero & Philpott of Cheltenham and new entrance hall 1924 by Randall Wells. Stone (Johnson's work possibly Coade stone), stuccoed with slate hipped roofs concealed behind parapets. Mainly 2 storeys, except for music room 1830, main entrance and study/billiards room 1900 (now conference room) which are single storeyed. Simple 2 storey block of 1778, 5 bays wide 7 bays deep on left. Front: 5 bays, the central bay projecting slightly with a round-headed doorway (with original fanlight and C20 doors) under a pediment with modillions and frieze and 2 Tuscan columns; windows with two 6-pane, hornless timber sashes throughout all under blind boxes; some of the sashes appear to be original. Platband; parapet. Left- hand side elevation of 7 bays, details as front without break forward. An early C19 extension continues behind slightly set back from the plane of Johnson's range, asymmetrical fenestration, with a slightly projecting bay containing a round-headed sash window above, and round-headed garden door below, with margin panes and fanlight. An iron balcony is here supported by open-work iron supports. C20 offices etc. to rear. In circa 1830 the ground-floor Music Room was extended (the first of a series of post C18 projections to the right-hand elevation) in the form of a polygonal bay, each of the three faces with a round-headed sash window (9 panes above, 6 below). Prothero and Philpott's study/billiards room was added in 1900 forming an L-shaped plan: a rectangular chamber, 3 bays to the front, 2 to the side, round-headed sash windows (as to Music Room) all under a parapet with little pilaster buttresses. Between this and the Music Room (in the inner angle of the L- shaped plan) is Randall Well's Entrance Hall, polygonal, 3 bays; a large moulded round-headed doorway to the central bay, a 2-light square-headed sash window to each of the flanking bays. Interior: the most important rooms are those of Johnson and Randall Wells, although the C19 work is of considerable merit. Most of Johnson's work was remodelled in 1900. Surviving intact is the corridor (formerly the entrance corridor), a sequence of 3 domes divided by large, plain transverse arches; entrances at either end with large fanlights; panelled, mahogany side doors with deep, panelled reveals. Also his is the plaster frieze in the dining room (formerly the Great Parlour) and the wooden fluted columns there with composite capitals which flank the entrance to the library. Music Room, remodelled circa 1830 with 2 scagliola columns with Ionic capitals flanking the organ of 1807 by William Gray. Other rooms completely reworked in 1900 with replica C18 fire surrounds and carton pierre ceilings by Jackson & Son (who possessed Robert Adam's original mouldings). Randall Well's work in the Entrance Hall consists of plain pillars with chunky capitals, and the internal supports, similarly treated, to window lintels. Ha-ha of large rubble stones across the angle of the entrance front. Sources: especially valuable Lady Anne Acland, Killerton (The National Trust, 1983). Also Nancy Briggs, 'Woolverstone Hall : Some reflections on the domestic architecture of John Johnson (1738-1814); Procs.Suffolk Institute for Archaeology and History, XXXIV, part 1, (1977). Colvin, Dictionary of British Architects 1954 p.323.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.