You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 92881  

Print Page



© Mr Ron Garvey

IoE Number: 92881
Location: BROOKE MONUMENTS TO THE NORTH OF CHURCH OF ST LEONARD,
  SHEEPSTOR, WEST DEVON, DEVON
Photographer: Mr Ron Garvey
Date Photographed: 10 April 2005
Date listed: 18 November 1991
Date of last amendment: 18 November 1991
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

The following items shall be added to the list:-SHEEPSTORBROOKE MONUMENTSSX 56 NE18/1000To the North of Church of

The following items shall be added to the list:- SHEEPSTOR BROOKE MONUMENTS SX 56 NE 18/1000 To the North of Church of St Leonard GV II Monuments with railed enclosure to commemorate James Brooke, First Rajah of Sarawak (d1868) and the second Rajah Charles Brooke (d1917). Red Aberdeen granite chest tomb to James Brooke and unusual carved cyclopic granite boulder to Charles Brooke. Enclosed by plain iron railings on granite plinth. After his arrival at Sarawak in 1839, James Brooke was handed the government of the country. He not only assumed responsibility for the administration of justice but also the expansion of trade, the improvement of agriculture and the suppression of piracy and head hunting. Sarawak was ceded to him in full sovereignty after a successful campaign waged against Sea Dyack pirates. He returned to live in Burrator, Sheepscombe in 1863 and was succeeded as Rajah by his nephew Charles.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.