You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 93233  

Print Page



© Mr Derek Dukes

IoE Number: 93233
Location: NETHERCOTT HOUSE AND STABLES ADJOINING TO NORTH-WEST,
  IDDESLEIGH, WEST DEVON, DEVON
Photographer: Mr Derek Dukes
Date Photographed: 06 September 2004
Date listed: 20 February 1952
Date of last amendment: 20 February 1952
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

IDDESLEIGHSS 50 NE4/252Nethercott House and stables20.2.52adjoining to north-westGVII

IDDESLEIGH SS 50 NE 4/252 Nethercott House and stables 20.2.52 adjoining to north-west GV II Small country house. 1871. Believed to have been built by a local architect for William Arnold. Stone rubble walls of rock-faced rustification. Steep pitched gable ended tile roofs. Several stone rubble chimney stacks also of rock faced rustication. Plan: double detph plan with side entrance at right end into passage, with small study to its right, leading to stair hall. To the front of this are the 3 principal rooms overlooking the garden - the central and right-hand ones are now one L-shaped room. At the left end of the stairhall and principal rooms is a narrower service range with kitchen at the rear. Exterior: 3 storeys. Tall symmetrical 3 window range to the right with larger lower service rnage to the left. Principal range has a large gable at each end, with stone copings and armorial shield at apex. 3-light stone mullion window on 2nd floor of each gable. Below is a 4-light mullion and transom window each with a small central colonnette. Between the 2 gables is a 2-light mullion window. Large 3-light bay window on ground floor to each side of mullion transomed lights. Central doorway with side-lights and transom over C19 glazed double doors. At the left-hand end of this range the chimney stack projects on a corbel table. The service range set back from the left-hand end has asymmetrical front with 3 mullion and transom windows and a small gable over the central 1st floor one. The principal entrance is on the right-hand end wall and has an imposing single storey Jacobean style balustraded porch. This has a round arched doorway and frieze above the strapwork devices. Late C19 or early C20 double panelled doors. Irregular rear elevation has large stair window with square section mullions in large projecting gable to left. projecting from the right-hand end of the house is a single storey stable wing with central gable and 3 doorways. Interior: partly in the Jacobean style with large dog-leg staircase and ceiling of moulded beams and joists in left-hand room. Other features, however are more classical such as moulded egg and dart cornices and ceiling bands in the central and right-hand rooms. The hall and stairs have a panelled and carved dado which is dated 1903. Both exterior and interior of the house survive relatively unaltered. To include small section of crenellated walls to north east of house incorporating gate piers with conical caps.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.