You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 96979  

Print Page



© Dr Ann Allen ARPS

IoE Number: 96979
Location: ARLINGTON COURT,
  ARLINGTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON
Photographer: Dr Ann Allen ARPS
Date Photographed: 13 June 2006
Date listed: 25 February 1965
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1965
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ARLINGTONARLINGTONSS 64 SW5/4Arlington Court-25.2.65

ARLINGTON ARLINGTON SS 64 SW 5/4 Arlington Court - 25.2.65 GV II* Country house. Main range 1820 by Thomas Lee of Barnstaple, the staircase hall altered and rear wing added in 1865. Ashlar, main range pointed. Slate roof of main range concealed by low parapet and unmoulded cornice, rear ranges with slate roofs, with 3 ridge stacks with panelled sides and moulded caps to the wing at right angles to main range and 3 stone rubble ridge stacks to parallel rear range. Main range consists of rectangular block with gallery extending whole length of the garden (south) front, with folding screens to form 3 principal rooms, main entrance hall to right (east side) leading into large central staircase hall; this was enlarged in 1865 by demolishing the former staircase in the north-west corner and absorbing 2 rooms each on the ground and first floors. Extending at right angles to rear right-hand end of main range is the 1865 wing of 9 bays the furthest 4 bays breaking forward slightly. At right angles to this, and parallel with the main range is a further service wing creating an overall 3-sided rear courtyard plan. Main range in severe neo-classical style with interior design heavily influenced by Soane, in whose office Lee was for a short time employed. Main range of 2 storeys with basement service rooms. Rear wings 2 storeys. Main range, symmetrical with 5-bay garden front, 3 bays to left-hand return and right- hand returning the entrance front. Giant angle Tuscan pilasters. All 12-paned sashes to upper storey. French windows to ground floor except to centre of bay of entrance front which has 1st floor French window with margin glazing bars over semi- circular Greek Doric porch with 4 fluted columns supporting entablature and iron balustrade. Door of 2 narrow panelled leaves and tall transomed overlight. Raised terrace to front of garden and entrance front with banded rustication and incorporating flights of stone steps to central bay of garden front and to entrance doorway. To each side, the terrace wall is pierced by square openings with wrought iron grilles lighting the basement. The 1885 range extending to right of entrance front has plat-band and rusticated surrounds to segmental arched windows with 2 over 2-paned sashes. Arlington Court was built and owned by the Chichester family until 1949, when it was bequeathed to the National Trust, whose guide 'Arlington Court' (1985) gives a full interior description and see also John Cornforth 'Arlington Court, Devon', Country Life, 30 April 1981.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.