You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 97123  

Print Page



© Dr Ann Allen ARPS

IoE Number: 97123
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER,
  TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON
Photographer: Dr Ann Allen ARPS
Date Photographed: 04 April 2006
Date listed: 25 February 1965
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1965
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TRENTISHOETRENTISHOESS 64 NW2/151Church of St Peter-25.2.55

TRENTISHOE TRENTISHOE SS 64 NW 2/151 Church of St Peter - 25.2.55 GV II* Parish church. C15 fabric to nave walls and tower, the latter with 1638 alterations, chancel built and church restored 1877. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. West tower, nave, chancel. Small narrow west tower has embattled parapet and small bell-openings in south and north sides, the latter with two 1638 dates above referring to alterations. C19 2-light window to left of south porch which has gabled slate roofs, rough stone voussoirs to the outer porch doorway arch and C19 semi-circular headed timber casing to possibly earlier concealed inner doorframe. C19 stepped 3-light lancet to east chancel end. 2 straight-headed windows of 2 virtually semi-circular-headed lights, that to left is C19 that to right retains most its original Perpendicular stonework including labelled hoodmould. Towards west end on north side is a C18 nowy-arched slate headstone reset on wall with inscription to members of the Stott family. Interior: C19 scissor-braced roof to chancel, common rafter roof to nave, 5 of the couples with archbracing. West gallery of 1731, 8 panels wide with winder staircase in north-west corner. Traces of painted date and inscription survive to central panels. C19 furnishings including font, pulpit, altar table and communion rails. Wall monuments. Nave north side: triangular headed slate to Richard Cooke and wife (d.1773 and 1784) above square slate tablet to Mary d. of Morgan Cooke (d.1714) with verse and skull and hour glass to base. South side of nave: slate wall monuments to Capt. John Cooke of Ilfracombe by Watts (d.1859) and below to Margaret, wife of John Richards d. 1641.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.