You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 98794  

Print Page

© Dr Ann Allen ARPS

IoE Number: 98794
Photographer: Dr Ann Allen ARPS
Date Photographed: 14 August 2003
Date listed: 25 February 1965
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1965
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

INSTOWRECTORY LANE, Instow TownSS 43 SE1/90Church of St John the Baptist25.2.65GVI

INSTOW RECTORY LANE, Instow Town SS 43 SE 1/90 Church of St John the Baptist 25.2.65 GV I Parish Church. Late C13/early C14 fabric to chancel. Perpendicular nave, west tower, south transept and north aisle, the latter added in 1547. Restored 1872-3 by William White. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with coped gable ends. West tower, nave, chancel, south transept and porch, north aisle. West tower of 3 stages. Short diagonal buttresses and embattled parapet with tall rectangular stair turret on south-east side. Single light bell-openings with louvres, cusped-headed to top stage, ogee-headed to 2nd stage on north and south sides, the latter with straight-headed single light window to base. Perpendicular 4-light window to west side with human head corbels to pointed arched hoodmould above Perpendicular doorway with hollow-with-cyma recta moulded surround. Nave south side has 2 straight-headed windows that to left of 2 cusped-headed lights, that to right of 3 rounded-arched lights, both with hoodmoulds, flanking south porch. C19 pointed arched doorway with door of 2 boarded leaves, the upper part glazed with stained glass leaded lights. Plain chamfered pointed arched inner doorway. Unceiled porch waggon roof without mouldings. South transept window of 3 trefoil-headed stepped lights with pointed arched hoodmould. 2-light window on east side with quatrefoil tracery to head of 2 ogee-headed lights. Chancel south side has 2 cusped-headed light window with Y bars to left and tall single light lancet renewed in C19 to right of cusped headed priests doorway. 2 C19 straight- headed windows to east end of chancel and north aisle. 4 straight-headed early C16 Perpendicular windows to north side of north aisle with gentle ogee heads to the lights. Slightly projecting rood loft stair turret with segmental arched doorway. 2 buttresses towards west end. 3-light C19 window at west end of north aisle. Interior: continuous north arcade of 4 bays with Pevsner 'A' type piers with foliated capitals to chancel pier and respond. Capitals to nave piers record erection of north aisle by "Rycharde Waterman (and) Emma His Wyf" in 1547. Ceiled waggon roof to north aisle with carved bosses at each intersection of the moulded ribs and longitudinal members, and carved timber wall plates. Similar roof to south transept with single moulded rib and crenellated timber wall plates with carved decoration. C19 chancel roof and some reused timbers to arch-braced nave roof. Unmoulded semi-circular headed tower arch. C19 sedilia and piscina. Chancel floor retains patterns of Barnstaple tiles. C19 chancel and C20 nave furniture including timber screen of 1906-11 across nave and north aisle. Lead- lined bowl to Norman font of block-capital shape on round stem. Section of probably reused C17 communion rail to west end tower gallery with turned balusters and moulded handrail. Monuments: 2 C17 wall monuments in south transept east and west walls to Downe family, father and son respectively. East side, square tablet with Ionic colonettes and skull in base. West side, swan-necked pediment with central shield above medallion with bust of male figure in bold relief, leaning on skull and clasping book. Verse plaque below. Wall monument, north wall of north aisle by J Kendall of Exeter to Humphrey Sibthorp, botanist, d.1797. At east end of north aisle, tablet with moulded stone surround to Rebecca Prince d.1685 with oval tablet above to Frederick Holmes d.1822. Stained glass to north aisle and chancel east windows, to chancel lancet to H Hinchcliff d.1906, to south transept east side by Myer and Co. to James Edward Allen (1886) and on south side to Richard White and Wife (d. 1884 and 1906). South side of nave to Thomas Lock (d.1860) and Captain Leonard Slater (d.1914).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.