You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 111094  

Print Page



© Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB

IoE Number: 111094
Location: HEADLAM HALL, THE GREEN (east side)
  HEADLAM, TEESDALE, DURHAM
Photographer: Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB
Date Photographed: 16 June 2003
Date listed: 07 January 1952
Date of last amendment: 07 January 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NZ 11 NEHEADLAMTHE GREEN(East side)6/10Headlam Hall7/1/52

NZ 11 NE HEADLAM THE GREEN (East side) 6/10 Headlam Hall 7/1/52 GV II* Country house. C17 core, perhaps incorporating older stonework, partly encased by L-shaped, mid C18 entrance block and early C20 north wing. C17 and C18 ranges of dressed sandstone; north wing of sandstone ashlar; early C20 roof of sandstone flags. " ' 3-storey entrance front has 3 linked sections. Right section: mid C18, 5-bay block (with narrower 5-bay right return) has chamfered plinth, raised and chamfered quoins; central, glazed double doors in richly-detailed, rusticated surround; 12--pane sashes to ground and-first floors, and 16-pane sashes to second floor, in raised surrounds. Recessed, single-bay middle section: mid C18, 2 storeys with third storey added in early C20; Venetian windows to ground and first floors and tripartite window to second floor. Projecting, 3-bay north wing to left has quoins and 12-pane sashes in raised surrounds; left return has two corniced, lateral stacks. Steeply-pitched and slightly-swept hipped roof has flat top over north wing. Three massive, corniced ridge stacks. 3-storey, 9-bay rear, with mainly renewed mullioned windows, retains C17 character. 5-bay, E-shaped centre block has some original mullions and is flanked by recessed single bays with projecting mid C18 bay to left and far- projecting north wing to right. Four extruded bays of 2 and 3 storeys between the projecting rear bays. Central block with 3 and 4-light mullioned windows and central door under individual hoodmoulds to ground floor; mainly 4-light mullioned-and-transomed windows to first and second floors. Roof is hipped over each of the five projecting bays. Interior: much altered in early C20 but retains mid C18 panelled entrance hall with pair of Tuscan columns; upstairs room said to have Jacobean panelling and a probably late C17 chimney piece with strapwork decoration and terms. Detached stable range to north and stable block to east not of special interest.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.