You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 330654  

Print Page



© Mr Malcolm Harwood

IoE Number: 330654
Location: CHURCH OF THE ASCENSION, CHURCH STREET (north off)
  WHIXLEY, HARROGATE, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Malcolm Harwood
Date Photographed: 17 October 1999
Date listed: 15 March 1966
Date of last amendment: 15 March 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SE 45 NWWHIXLEYCHURCH STREET(north side, off)3/75Church of The Ascension

SE 45 NW WHIXLEY CHURCH STREET (north side, off) 3/75 Church of The Ascension 15.3.66 II* Church of the Ascension. Mainly early C14 with some restoration 1862 possibly by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Ashlar with stone and lead roof. West tower, 3-bay nave with north and south aisles enclosing tower, 2-bay chancel. West tower of 3 stages with Perpendicular window to belfry, embattled parapet with crocketted finials and pyramidal roof. North and south aisles of 4 bays with intersected tracery to two 3-light windows. South porch has hoodmould with head-stops, the arch has ballflower decoration. Lower, 2-bay chancel has two 3-light windows similar to aisle. Door between has hoodmould with head-stops. East window of 5 lights with cusping and 6-pointed roundel to top. Chancel north side has a round-headed window at east end. Buttresses to aisles and chancel have offsets and ridged sloping tops repeated in the window ledges. Ashlar copings with crocketted finials, gable cross to chancel. Interior: quatrefoil columns carry north and south arcades under the tower. Double-chamfered arches have hoodmoulds on head-stops. South aisle has piscina at east end and tomb of Christopher Tancred (d. 1754) at the west end. Christopher Tancred's tomb was removed from the chapel at Whixley Hall (q.v.) in 1905.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.