You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 330658  

Print Page



© Mr Les Waby

IoE Number: 330658
Location: WHIXLEY HALL, WEST LANE (north off)
  WHIXLEY, HARROGATE, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Les Waby
Date Photographed: 14 February 2003
Date listed: 08 March 1952
Date of last amendment: 08 March 1952
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SE 45 NWWHIXLEYWEST LANE(north side, off)3/79Whixley Hall

SE 45 NW WHIXLEY WEST LANE (north side, off) 3/79 Whixley Hall 8.3.52 GV II House, now 2 dwellings. Mid-late C17, 2 builds, with restoration of 1907. Red brick, English bond, C20 ashlar, stone slate roof. H-shaped plan with rear courtyard, the south and west ranges apparently added to the east range. 2 storeys, 7 first-floor windows, the 2 at each end in slightly projecting wings. Stone-capped plinth, central C20 6-panel door with overlight in heavily-moulded ashlar surround with consoles supporting broken segmental pediment with vase. Wooden cross-windows with glazing bars under flat brick arches. Wings have giant pilaster strips which contain the windows and ground-floor drip-mould. Deep wooden modillioned eaves cornice. Hipped roofs to wings. Stack on ridge between centre block and left wing. Second stack far right. Rear: ground floor, left, a 4-light mullioned window in the north end of the east range. Tumbled brickwork in gable. Probably re-set datestone inscribed '1840 L.W. in scrolled surround W.' built into the right return of this range. Remaining windows mostly C20. Left return: (west side) of 8 bays has a re-set datestone of 1680. Right return (east side) has scattered fenestration and an external stack, a 3-light mullioned window to first floor left with large staircase window below and a re-set datestone inscribed 'RT KT 1654'. Interior: east range contains fine dog-leg staircase with turned balusters and tall angularly-carved newel posts rising high above the moulded handrail. An engraving in the hall inscribed 'Christopher Tancred's seat 1698' shows the south front before the C20 restoration, but not very different. Christopher Tancred died in 1754 and bequeathed the hall as an almshouse for 12'decayed gentlemen'. The hall remained an almshouse or 'hospital' until after 1850 but was disused in 1881. The central section of the south front was apparently restored and rebuilt by Walter Brierley in 1907, but he followed the original design quite closely. Kelly's Directory of Yorkshire West Riding, 1881, 1889, 1904, 1912. N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, 1967, p 552. William and Co., Directory of Towns and Villages Hull 1844.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.