You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 169560  

Print Page



© Mr D Godden

IoE Number: 169560
Location: COMBWELL PRIORY AND WALLED GARDEN, LONDON ROAD (north side)
  GOUDHURST, TUNBRIDGE WELLS, KENT
Photographer: Mr D Godden
Date Photographed: 13 February 2007
Date listed: 09 June 1952
Date of last amendment: 09 June 1952
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

GOUDHURSTLONDON ROADTQ 73 SW (north side)9/210Combwell Priory and

GOUDHURST LONDON ROAD TQ 73 SW (north side) 9/210 Combwell Priory and 9.6.52 walled garden II House. Circa 1930 and late C20 on C12 site and reusing medieval materials. Dressed stone and plain tiled roof, with red brick, timber frame and tile hung extensions. Main range 2 storeys, with plinth, string course and 2 storey and attic cross-wing projecting at right with shaped kneelered parapet gable. Main range with hipped roof, with stacks to left and at end right. Attic 3 light stone mullioned window, with 3 light mullioned and transomed windows on each floor of cross-wing, main range with 2 three light mullioned and transomed windows on each floor, with 2 light to centre of 1st floor, with central plank and stud door with side lights set in depressed-arched moulded surround with crudely voluted Ionic pilasters in parapeted porch. Extended to right by smaller shaped gabled range (with looped cross) fronted by large mullioned bay window. Plain rectangular block at end right (right return timber and glazed modern style elevation). Set in the left return of the cross-wing is a pinnacled and crocketed ogee headed niche with a stumpy statuette of an armoured knight. Set in the rear elevation (on earlier foundations) is a worn medieval figure blowing a horn. Attached to the rear wing is ared and blue brick C18 wall, connected to a C18 walled garden, about 50 yards by 100 yards in extent, and including red brick stable block on stone base. Robert de Thurnham founded a Premonstrakusian Abbey here (tempus Henry II), in 1220 it became an Augustinian Priory. After the Reformation it became the mansion house of branches of the Culpepper and later Campion families, after 1657 little remained of either the abbey or the later house.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.