You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 200829  

Print Page



© Mr Mark Berry

IoE Number: 200829
Location: BUSH HILL SLUICE, BUSH HILL ROAD (east side)
  ENFIELD, ENFIELD, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Mr Mark Berry
Date Photographed: 15 September 2001
Date listed: 20 March 1990
Date of last amendment: 20 March 1990
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

The following building shall be added to the list:BUSH HILL ROADTQ 3295(EAST SIDE Off)8/220

The following building shall be added to the list: BUSH HILL ROAD TQ 3295 (EAST SIDE Off) 8/220 BUSH HILL SLUICE II Sluice building to New River. 1796; probably by Robert Mylne, for the New River Company. Painted brick on stone arch; Welsh slate roof. Single cell, square on plan, straddling the watercourse. Pent porch on west side with 4-panel door; lunette window to south side (boarded up) and to north side, the latter with radial glazing bars and blind recess below. Hipped roof with spike finial. Interior not inspected. From the sluice house sluice gates were operated to control the flow of water over the Bush Hill frame (q.v. Clarendon Arch and Tunnel 8/53). It is part of the works of the New River, founded 1613 by Sir Hugh Myddelton in order to bring a purer water supply to London. Another New River sluice building survives at Newnton Close, Hackney (q.v. Ivy House Sluice item 6/425).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.