You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 257501  

Print Page



© Mr Richard Summers

IoE Number: 257501
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY,
  BEDSTONE, SOUTH SHROPSHIRE, SHROPSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Richard Summers
Date Photographed: 04 November 2006
Date listed: 21 March 1968
Date of last amendment: 21 March 1968
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BEDSTONE C.P.BEDSTONESO 37 NEChurch of St8/1Mary21.3.68

BEDSTONE C.P. BEDSTONE SO 37 NE Church of St 8/1 Mary 21.3.68 II* GV Parish church. C12, repaired in 1851 and restored by Kempson of Hereford in 1879. Roughly coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; timber framed bellcote: machine tile roofs have overhanging eaves and corbelled scissor-bracing to east gable of chancel and west gable of nave; iron crosses to east gables of nave and chancel. Nave with west bellcote; chancel; store shed on north. Bellcote: probably C17 but extensively restored C19 and C20. Timber framed with oak-shingled broach spire surmounted by brass weathercock. 3 pointed louvred windows to belfry on each side. Nave: buttresses at north-west and south-west angles have stone slate caps. Late C19 windows on north and south sides comprise 4 round-headed openings alternating with 3 similar blind arches; continuous cills. Small C12 round-headed window to east on south. West end has late C19 round-headed window above contemporary Romanesque-style doorway with chevron decoration to arch. Chancel: small C12 round-headed window on north. Taller C19 round-headed window on south. East wall has late C19 round- headed windows to left and right and one above to centre. Smaller round- headed window to apex appears to incorporate some earlier (presumably C12) stone-work. C19 lean-to shed on north in angle with nave has round- headed doorway on east and window on west. Interior. C19 trussed rafter roofs with scissor-bracing to nave and chancel with large tie beam at west end of nave supporting bellcote. Low C12 round-headed chancel arch has plain chamfered imposts; deep splays to C12 windows. C12 tub-shaped font has plain semi-circular band to centre and lead lining. Communion table incorporating C18 turned balusters from former communion rails has initials "EAM" and date "1721" inscribed. Other fittings and furnishings late C19, including 4 stained glass windows by Kempe in north wall in memory of Joseph Henry Brown, rector of Bedstone (1878-99). East window (c.1879) commemorates his wife, Annie (died 1872). Monuments. 2 plain early C19 wall memorials over east side of chancel arch. The 1879 restor- ation cost about £1,200. B.o.E. p. 71; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 5 (1901) pp. 376-7; Kell's Directory of Shropshire (1900) p.29.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.