You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379787  

Print Page



© Mr Phil Draper

IoE Number: 379787
Location: AIR BALLOON HILL COUNCIL SCHOOLS, JUNIOR SCHOOL, HILLSIDE ROAD (north side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mr Phil Draper
Date Photographed: 24 June 2001
Date listed: 30 December 1994
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST67SWHILLSIDE ROAD, St George901-1/56/1841(North side)

BRISTOL ST67SW HILLSIDE ROAD, St George 901-1/56/1841 (North side) Air Balloon Hill Council Schools, Junior School GV II Junior school. 1905. By Latrobe and Weston. Pennant rubble with limestone ashlar dressings, and double Roman tile hipped, gabled roofs. 2 similar groups with central halls and ranges of classrooms to each side. Art Nouveau style. Asymmetrical groups with ashlar bands to cill, lintel and between, and coped gables. The SE block has a hall with gabled ends, large Venetian windows with a 2-centred arched middle window, side dormers and a square ridge cupola with angle buttresses and a copper dome. In front a pair of gables has tall central and lower flanking flat-headed windows separated by shallow buttresses, with segmental pediments to the tops of the gables over ashlar panels inscribed AIR BALLOON HILL to the left and COUNCIL SCHOOLS to the right, in Art Nouveau-style lettering. To the left return is a range of 3 plain gables with segmental-arched heads to central windows with lower flanking windows. To the right return is a single-storey block with a left-hand doorway with notched lintels on corbels flanked by round piers; toward the rear are 2 gables as the left return, separated by a parapeted section with a right-hand doorway under a heavy weathered lintel, and central raised window with segmental-arched head and a shallow gabled parapet above. Attached to the NE corner is a similar group, with a central hall and ranges of 3 gables to each side; a single-storey front block has a left-hand segmental-arched doorway with round piers with domed tops, and a right-hand doorway with a heavy, weathered lintel; left-hand 2-storey service block with parapet and pyramidal roof, and first-floor window with segmental-arched recessed ashlar lintel. INTERIOR: Art Nouveau-styled hammer beam roofs to the central halls. Part of a group with the Infant School (qv) and Instruction Centre (qv), and sharing many details with them. A fine composition by one of the few Bristol architects to experiment with Art Nouveau. (Mowl T: To Build The Second City: Bristol: 1991-: 82).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.