You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 383747  

Print Page



© Mr Dennis Coote CPAGB APAGB

IoE Number: 383747
Location: TOURIST INFORMATION CENTRE, THE STRAND (north east side)
  BRIXHAM, TORBAY, DEVON
Photographer: Mr Dennis Coote CPAGB APAGB
Date Photographed: 10 June 2001
Date listed: 10 January 1975
Date of last amendment: 18 October 1993
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIXHAM SX9256SE THE STRAND, Lower Brixham 1946-1/11/232 (North East side) 10/01/75 Tourist Information Centre and fishmonger's shop (former Market House) (Formerly Listed as: THE STRAND E Perrett and Son (Old Fishermen's Store)) GV II Market house, now tourist information centre and fishmonger's shop. Believed to date from 1799. Painted stone rubble with brick door and window-arches. Slated roof. A long, freestanding building, oblong and one room deep, its north-west corner sharply splayed at the point where The Strand turns into The Quay. 2 storeys. 8 windows to the harbour, 6 to The Strand. Ground storey facing the harbour has 5 wide segmental-arched doorways to left, the 2 left-hand ones now converted to windows and the extreme left-hand one partly blocked. At right-hand end are 4 further openings: from left, a shop window (probably a later insertion), a plank door, a small loading-hatch with plank door on strap-hinges, a pair of plank doors with strap-hinges. The upper storey has 2 blocked windows to left and one at far right-hand end; 3 windows in centre, each with 3-light wood casement having 3 panes per light; 2 loading-hatches to right, each with double plank doors having strap-hinges. Front facing The Strand has 6 doorways, large and small, and a window in the ground storey; all have segmental arches and all are now boarded up. Upper-storey windows are also boarded up, except for the left-hand one, which matches those on the harbour side. South-east gable-end has wide segmental-arched doorway in ground storey. To right of upper storey a 2-light window matching those on the harbour side; to left a large loading-hatch with double plank doors in a plain wood frame with pegged joints (probably original). North-west gable-end has to right of ground storey a segmental-arched doorway containing old plank double-doors with strap-hinges (probably original with some repairs). To left is a slightly projecting round-arched niche with a moulded archivolt, possibly designed for a water tap. No openings in upper storey. INTERIOR: upper floor not inspected. The building is marked 'Market House' on the 1st edition 25-inch OS map of Brixham (1864). The building date of 1799 appears to derive from the fact that the Haven and Market Improvement Act was passed in that year; the commissioners appointed under the Act owned the Market House. (White W: History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire: Sheffield: 1850-: 425; Saxton WA: Brixham History (2nd edition): Brixham: 1962-: 23; Horsley JE: A Short History of Brixham: Exeter: 1988-: 14-15).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.