You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 388777  

Print Page



© Mr Derek Le Mare

IoE Number: 388777
Location: NORTH EASTERN COUNTY SCHOOL, NEWGATE (north side)
  BARNARD CASTLE, TEESDALE, DURHAM
Photographer: Mr Derek Le Mare
Date Photographed: 26 August 2001
Date listed: 22 February 1973
Date of last amendment: 28 November 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BARNARD CASTLE NZ0516SE NEWGATE 770-1/7/147 (North side) 22/02/73 Barnard Castle School (Formerly Listed as: NEWGATE (North side) Barnard Castle School (excluding modern additions)) GV II Independent school. 1883-6. By Clark & Moscrop of Darlington. 1889-90 sanatorium; 1896 swimming-bath block; 1899-1900 science block. For the Trustees of Benjamin Flounders with the Trustees of St. John's Hospital, Barnard Castle, and a Durham University Committee. Rock-faced sandstone with ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings; roof of graduated Lakeland slate with stone gable copings and chimneys. PLAN: symmetrical with north, east and west wings radiating from central projecting office block; left sanatorium wing and rear swimming pool and science laboratories attached. Jacobean style. EXTERIOR: south elevation towards Newgate of 3 storeys and attics 6:3:6-window range. Steps up to central door in frontispiece with Ionic order on ground floor and Tuscan on 2 upper floors; many-panelled door and overlight with decorative glazing bars in round arch with imposts, flanked by narrow round-headed lights with glazing bars; large elaborate bracket to first floor oriel flanked by niches; second floor has mullioned-and-transomed window and niches; top balustrade with obelisk finials. Floor strings continuous across front to all windows, which have from 2 to 6 lights and smaller on upper floors, which have filletted ovolo moulding to mullions and transoms and are recessed in flat stone surrounds. Triple gables over projecting entrance block have small 3-light windows; 5 gabled dormers rise from eaves at each side. Sanatorium at left, linked to main block by corridor with shouldered arches, breaks forward with 7-light window on ground floor and 9-light windows on upper floors in gable to front, and 5 tall 2-light windows one each floor in returns. Roof has stone coping to all gables, and tall glazed lantern over junction of 3 wings. INTERIOR: original detail mostly unaltered, with C17 style carved and moulded stone chimneypieces in principal offices and corniced plainer stone chimneypieces in classrooms; rail-and-stile doors with 6 equal panels or classroom doors with upper panels glazed; architraves, boarded classroom dados, and cornices. On ground floor, Big School at right and dining hall at left panelled with Tudor-flower frieze; dining hall has doorcases with broken pediment on architrave. Central well under lantern has diabolo balustraded galleries, with arched entrances to the 3 wings; wrought-iron roof ties; gallery and boarded dado at each level; enclosed stair off to rear right is cantileverd and has high grip handrail on stick balusters. Swimming bath has roof of big renewed A-trusses of laminated wood, the collars paired and bolted; boarded pine ceiling with lantern to cupola. Originally the North Eastern County School, the name was changed to Barnard Castle School in 1924. (Hitchcock RC: The History of Barnard Castle School 1883-1933: 1933-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.