You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 432476  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Arnold

IoE Number: 432476
Location: LIBERTY SHOES FACTORY, EASTERN BOULEVARD (east side)
  LEICESTER, LEICESTER, LEICESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Brian Arnold
Date Photographed: 06 May 2001
Date listed: 15 March 1994
Date of last amendment: 05 October 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for; LEICESTER EASTERN BOULEVARD SK 5803-5903 (east side) 9/10035 Liberty Shoes Factory II ------------------------------------ the entry shall be amended to read:- SK5803-5903 LEICESTER EASTERN BOULEVARD (east side) 9/10035 Liberty Building ------------------------------------ LEICESTER EASTERN BOULEVARD SK 5803-5903 (east side) 9/10035 Liberty Building the grade shall be entered to read, grade II. ------------------------------------ The following building shall be added to the list; LEICESTER EASTERN BOULEVARD SK 5803-5903 (east side) 9/10035 Liberty Shoes Factory II Shoe Factory, now vacant. 1918-19. Designed by Howard Henry Thompson for Lennard Brothers. Reinforced concrete with brindle brick decorative cladding. Modernestyle. 4 storey, 16x2 bays. West front 15 bays arranged 1:6:1:6:1 with 3 single bay pavillions in the centre and at the ends. These pavillions are similar, with a rusticated brick ground floor. The central pavillion has a pair of double doors and the flanking ones have tripartite windows, all under staggered brick lintels. Above all the pavillions have a tripartite window to each floor, and flanking giant brick pilaster strips with raised brick vertical bands. The pavillions are topped with central chequered panels and flanking stylized classical motifs. The recessed 6 bays on either side have 3-light steel framed glazing bar casements throughout, all with plain brick panels, those above the top floor with central diamond panels. The north-west curved entrance front has a 3 bay entrance loggia, and above three 3-light curved steel frame glazing bar casements to each floor. Above a 13 foot high concrete copy of the Statue of Liberty. The north front has a single pavillion bay, and beyond a single side bay, similar to those on the west front. Beyond a 3 bay 2 storey extension added in 1922 to the same design. Rear east front, 16 bays, with 2 projecting service towers, each 3 bays wide with brick infill and small irregular windows. The right tower is 5 storeys, topped by a water tank over an open storey. Between these towers is a tall square chimney stack with recessed panels. Interior: retains exposed concrete frame, with wooden floors. This building was designed for the Lennard Brothers to produce a new range of high quality womens shoes, under the brand name "Liberty".

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.