You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 435702  

Print Page



© Ms Denise Rendell

IoE Number: 435702
Location: MAYFIELD COLLEGE,
  MAYFIELD, WEALDEN, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Ms Denise Rendell
Date Photographed: 14 February 2005
Date listed: 01 February 1991
Date of last amendment: 01 February 1991
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for: TQ 52 NE WADHURST MAYFIELD COLLEGE 21/1004 II The entry shall be amended to read: TQ 52 NE MAYFIELD MAYFIELD COLLEGE 21/1004 II ------------------------------------ WADHURST MAYFIELD COLLEGE TQ 52 NE 21/1004 II School, originally boys orphanage. Built 1865-6 by E W Pugin for the Duchess of Leeds with accommodation for about 100 boy orphans and placed under the Xavierian brothers in 1868. Gothic style. Built of red brick in Flemish bond with black polychrome, sandstone dressings and slate roof with brick chimney stacks. 4 storeys. 11 windows. Principal south east front comprises central block of 7 bays and 2 projecting wings of 2 bays. Central block has 3rd floor with paired cambered sashes and central window has round-headed tympanum with quartrefoil. Half-hipped gable with cross bracing above. 1st and 2nd floor windows are cambered sashes flanked by giant pilasters with arches above. Bands of black brick and rosette and quartrefoil decorations. Ground floor has 6 triple Caernarvon arched sashes and cambered arched doorcase. Gabled left wing has third floor triple casement with rose window in tympanum, 2nd floor has 2 mullioned and transomed casements with stone tympanums with quatrefoil motifs. 1st floor has 2 cambered sashes and ground floor has 2 paired cambered windows. Set back is a tall brick tower with elongated double lancet bell opening and corbelled top with spire missing at the time of survey. Left hand bay is identical to left but with 2 storey addition having 1 sash with quatrefoils and angled oriel with mullioned and transomed windows and black diaper brick pattern below, 2 cambered sashes to ground floor. Attached to the right is the chapel in identical style and building materials. 4 bay nave with extended bay chancel with triple lancets. Coping with cross-shaped saddlestone to east and gabled bell cote to west. Transepts with rose windows. 1 storey link to school with arched doorcase. North west elevation has similar arrangement of 7 bays to centre and 2 projecting wings of 2 bays. 3rd floor windows to centre part are cambered casements. 2nd floor windows are cambered 6 pane sashes with cast iron rosettes and continuous hood moulding between 1st floor has paired iron lancets with decorative panes and ground floor has paired Caernarvon arched windows. 2 storey central porch feature with hipped roof and round-headed arch. Wings are gabled with 4th floor sash, 3rd floor triple sash, 2 cambered sashes to 1st and 2nd floors and triple windows to ground floor. Interior has chapel with fairly intact original decoration. Elaborate wooden reredoes with altar panel depicting St Francis Xavier, brass monstrance and 4 gabled niches with statues of saints. To the left is a statue of Christ and to the right a statue of the Virgin and Child. Painted east wall with Annunciation to left and Coronation of the Virgin to right and series of roundels depicting saints. Rose window has stained glass depicting angels, 2 bearing the legend ECCE PANIS ANGELDRUM. Painted design to chancel roof with 'M' symbols. It is thought that the original stencilled wall decoration may remain underneath the C20 painted flecked decoration. Original organ with elaborate Gothic case. Link passage to school has arched braces with rosettes. Refectory is of 5 bays with stone corbels. 2nd floor Dormitory is of 7 bay and has chamfered beams with rib and fillet and rose motif. The laundry on this floor has built in cupboards. The 3rd floor has arched braces with trefoil decoration and is thought to have been originally built as an indoor play area. 2 staircases with cast iron chamfered supports and handrail. This was built as one of a pair with the Girls' orphanage of the same date,later known as St Joseph's College and the Convent of the Holy Child Jesus at Mayfield.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.