You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 456892  

Print Page



© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS

IoE Number: 456892
Location: LEADER HOUSE AND ADJOINING BOUNDARY WALL, SURREY STREET (south west side)
  SHEFFIELD, SHEFFIELD, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
Date Photographed: 26 March 2006
Date listed: 01 May 1952
Date of last amendment: 01 May 1952
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHEFFIELDSK3587SESURREY STREET784-1/25/704(South West side)

SHEFFIELD SK3587SE SURREY STREET 784-1/25/704 (South West side) 01/05/52 Leader House and adjoining boundary wall GV II Includes: No.1 SURREY PLACE. 2 houses and adjoining boundary wall. Dated 1780, with early and mid C19 additions and C20 alterations. Built by the Duke of Norfolk for Vincent Eyre. Brick, the right return rendered and colourwashed, with ashlar dressings and slate roof with one brick and 2 rendered gable stacks. Plinth, chamfered quoins, wooden mutule eaves cornice, parapet with ramped coping. 3 storeys; 3 window range. Lower floors have 12 pane sashes, upper floor 6 pane sashes. These windows have multi-keystone lintels. To left, a set back mid C19 addition, 3 storeys, with 2 plain sashes on each floor with moulded architraves. Right return has to right a 2-storey rear wing. Three 12 pane sashes with multi-keystone lintels. Below, a central early C19 canted bay window with cornice and three 12 pane sashes. To left, a wooden Classical doorcase with Doric columns and open pediment, with beaded 6-panel door and fanlight. To right, a 12 pane sash. To right again, a mid C19 canted addition, single storey. To left, a moulded 6-panel door with overlight, and to right, two 12 pane sashes. INTERIOR not inspected. Outside, a curved brick boundary wall with plinth and moulded stone coping. Pair of square gate piers with caps. Occupied from the early C19 by the Leader family.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.