You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 461963  

Print Page



© Mr Paul Alistair Bloomer ARPS

IoE Number: 461963
Location: MARY HARDSTAFF HOMES, 1-10 ARNOLD LANE (north east side)
  CARLTON, GEDLING, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Paul Alistair Bloomer ARPS
Date Photographed: 31 August 1999
Date listed: 30 August 1996
Date of last amendment: 30 August 1996
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

GEDLING SK 64 SW ARNOLD LANE (North east side) 1569-/7/10023 Mary HardstaffHomes, Nos 1 -10 (consec) II 10 almshouses. c1934. Designed by Cecil T Howitt for the Miss M E Hardstaff Charity. Brown and orange brick with brick dressings and plain tiles hipped roofs with 13 brick stacks. Brick plinth, embossed iron guttering. Single and 2 storey. South-west front has 16 windows arranged 2: 1 :2, 2:2:2, 2: 1 :2 with central 2 storey block and single storey wings linked on either side to canted outer blocks with gabled centres. Central block has central passage doorway with iron gate in recessed surround topped with Dutch gabled hood with cartouche inscribed "These Homes were constructed in accordance with the Will of Mary Elizabeth Hardstaff' .Flanked by single 4-light windows, above 2 smaller 4-light windows with orange brick sill band. Either side wings have central recessed doorways flanked by single 3-light windows. Canted outer wings linked by round headed recessed passage doorways. Outer wings have projecting 2 storey centrepieces with tall Dutch gables and single 5-light windows with external shutters, and above single 3-light windows with embossed window boxes on iron scroll brackets. Either side single storey side wings have central recessed doorways flanked by 3-light windows. Rear elevation has recessed central 2 storey block with central passage doorway flanked by single doors and 2-light windows, above central 7-light window with blind central light flanked by single light windows. Projecting single storey ,wings have central single light windows flanked by 2-light windows. Canted outer wings linked by curved sections with passage doorways and flanking doors. Outer wings have recessed 2 storey centres with Dutch gables and single doorways, single 2-light windows and tiny single light windows, above two 2-light windows and single round windows. Side wings have central single light windows flanked by 2-light windows. All windows have wooden frames and cast iron casements with square leaded lights. These almshouses were built by Messrs Greenwood's of Mansfield and they were awarded the RIBA Bronze Medal by the Nottingham, Derby and Lincoln Architectural Society in 1936.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.