You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 60391  

Print Page

© Mr Peter Porteous

IoE Number: 60391
Photographer: Mr Peter Porteous
Date Photographed: 29 August 2000
Date listed: 31 October 1990
Date of last amendment: 23 June 1992
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

The following item shall be added:- REDCAR OFF TOD POINT ROAD NZ 52 NE 1/126 South Gare Lighthouse The address shall be amended to read: NZ 52 NE REDCAR TOD POINT ROAD (off north side) 1/126 South Gare Lighthouse II and the description shall be amended to read: Lighthouse, 1884 under direction of John Fowler, engineer to Tees Conservancy Commissioners. Cast iron with copper dome and brass and glass lantern-housing 18m. above sea at low water. Truncated Tuscan column on pedestal lacking plinth or cornice but with chamfered top edge. Column capped with octagonal lantern housing under narrow cornice and hemispherical dome from which chimney and weather vane were removed c1980. Hooded lifebuoy housings flank steel-plated 2-panel timber door in south face of pedestal. Small portholes in north and south faces of column light the staircase. Below the lantern a railed catwalk or balcony supported by cusped brackets. INTERIOR: clad with varnish stained, vertical tongued-and- grooved timber wainscotting. Wood and iron newel stair with patterned brass tread nosings and handrail. Original paraffin lamp removed 1955. Now a mains electricity-powered heliophotal lamp comprising two 1,000 watt bulbs (one on standby). Auxiliary generator on standby. Lamp magnified to 92,000 watts by original glass lenses in rotating brass housing driven by hand- wound escapement, now replaced by electric motors. Lamp produces flash of 1.5 seconds every 12 seconds, having range of 20 miles (32km.). The adjacent fog horn is not of interest. The only privately owned light house in England. The 2.5 mile (4km.) long South Gare Breakwater was constructed of ironworks, slag and concrete between 1861 and 1888 to create a safe harbour for shipping and to increase the draught of water for shipping in the estuary of the River Tees. ------------------------------------ REDCAR OFF TOD POINT ROAD NZ 52 NE 1/126 South Gare Lighthouse II Lighthouse. 1883 . Stone with iron dressings. Single storey square base with single metal doorway on west side, flanked by single life belt housing. Above a circular shaft with a moulded base, and above a projecting iron balcony supported on ornate iron brackets.Topped by an octagonal light housing with a circular metal domed cap.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.