You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 68828  

Print Page

© Mr Ian G Stokes ARPS

IoE Number: 68828
Photographer: Mr Ian G Stokes ARPS
Date Photographed: 27 April 2001
Date listed: 10 December 1980
Date of last amendment: 20 July 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TINTAGELSW 08 NE4/166Engine House at Princess of WalesQuarry (formerly listed as Prince of10.12.80 Wales Engine House, Trewamett)

TINTAGEL SW 08 NE 4/166 Engine House at Princess of Wales Quarry (formerly listed as Prince of 10.12.80 Wales Engine House, Trewamett) GV II Engine house. Completed in 1872, restored in 1976. Slate stone rubble with brick dressings and top stage of chimney stack constructed of brick. Slate roof with gable ends renewed in 1976. Rectangular plan with chimney attached on lower front left hand (south west) corner. Lower north elevation with chimney stack on front left, the brick top stage with a brick corbelled band and cornice. Tall narrow opening in gable end with round headed brick arch. Left hand side wall part rebuilt with openings at 2 levels. Right hand side wall with large stone rubble plinth and timber lintels to openings. Tall round headed brick arched opening in gable end of higher south elevation, part rebuilt. Engine house of unusual plan used for both pumping and winding. It was built to accommodate a 50" Harvey engine that until 1890 pumped a large pit below and hauled trucks from Bowthick quarry across the valley. Bowthick quarry closed down in circa 1913 and the engine house stood derelict until restored in 1976. Source: Clive Carter Unpublished manuscript notes.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.