You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 101398  

Print Page



© Dr Barry Senior ARPS

IoE Number: 101398
Location: THE FORMER WATCH AND CLOCK FUSEE CHAIN FACTORY, BARGATES (south west side)
  CHRISTCHURCH, CHRISTCHURCH, DORSET
Photographer: Dr Barry Senior ARPS
Date Photographed: 05 July 2004
Date listed: 12 February 1976
Date of last amendment: 12 February 1976
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BARGATES1.(South West Side)5187The former Watch andClock Fusee Chain Factory

BARGATES 1. (South West Side) 5187 The former Watch and Clock Fusee Chain Factory SZ 1592 1/66 SZ 1592 1A/66 II GV 2. 1845. Founded and built by William Hart. In use for the manufacture of Watch and Clock chains until 1899. Christchurch was the most important centre for this industry which was also carried on in the workhouse and as a domestic or cottage industry. Red brick with grey headers. Slate root. 2 storeys. North-east or entrance facade has plaque giving ante in gable end, 2 windows and vehicle doors below. North-west, or side, elevation has 7 bays with brick pilasters between. Slate hinging above windows which are mostly of 3 lights each, those of ground floor with cambered arches. All with glazing bars. South-west end facade rendered. The Priory Garage, the former Watch and Clock Fusee Chain Factory and Nos 22 and 24 form a group of which the Priory Garage is a building of local interest.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.