You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 106007  

Print Page



© Mr Ron Holmes ARPS

IoE Number: 106007
Location: HERRINGSTON HOUSE,
  WINTERBORNE HERRINGSTON, WEST DORSET, DORSET
Photographer: Mr Ron Holmes ARPS
Date Photographed: 04 July 2002
Date listed: 26 January 1956
Date of last amendment: 26 January 1956
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SY 68 NEWINTERBORNE HERRINGSTON5/113Herringston House26.1.56II*

SY 68 NE WINTERBORNE HERRINGSTON 5/113 Herringston House 26.1.56 II* GV Manor House in grounds. C14 courtyard house, of which north range and the north parts of the east and west ranges were taken down at the beginning of C19. Remodelled or partly rebuilt in late C16. Great Chamber created early C17. Early C19 remodelling of the north side by Thomas Leverton and present entrance hall created. Late C19, porch added to the north front. 1899, substantial new wing added on east side of house, conservatory and outbuildings added on the west. Stone walls, rendered in cement. Hipped and gabled slate roof. Rendered stacks. North front: 2 storey gabled wings, ranges truncated by Leverton. 3 storeys at centre with an embattled parapet. One window : 3 windows: one window. Leverton's centre has tripartite sashes with glazing bars, which intersect at the head. Windows over porch are single sashes also with intersecting glazing bars. Separate returned labels over all windows. Crown glass. The gabled wings have 3 light sashes with intersecting glazing bars, set in shallow recesses with two centred heads, there are quatrefoiled panels between the upper and lower windows. Central gabled porch has a pointed arch doorway with separate returned label over. Wooden door coat of arms over. Inner 2 leaf door is glazed, C19. South front: 2 storeys, irregular fenestration. Upper windows are of C16 with elliptical headed lights, moulded jambs and heads, and labels. The projection containing the Great Chamber has C19 buttresses between which are two ground floor windows, each of 2 elliptical headed lights with moulded jambs and mullions, and a third window with plain chamfered jambs. The window above, to the Great Chamber, has moulded jambs and mullions, and comprises 12 lights with four centred heads divided into four groups of three, by a transom and heavy central mullion. Similar windows on the returns. Eaves level raised over Hall by Leverton. Hall windows have 2 ranges of 4 elliptical headed lights divided by a transom, under a common label. West of this, the sash windows to the drawing room and bedroom over are early C18 with plain stone architraves. 1899 range attached at south east. Portland ashlar and Ham stone dressings. Slate roofs with Ham stone gable copings. Two stacks on ridge. 2½ storeys. 4 windows, with projecting and gabled central bay. Mainly 2 light wood casements with diagonal pattern of glazing bars throughout. In central bay, windows are of 4 : 4 : 3 lights with separate returned labels over. Plank door at right hand end. Interior: the hall, rising through two storeys, has an archway to the north west with round arched head with keystone, imposts and jambs, all moulded, finished with chamfered plinths. Above the C19 east doorway to the hall is a similar arched opening to the first floor landing with a stone balustrade within the archway. Lower parts of walls are lined with C19 panelling incorporating re-used pieces of earlier work of C16 and C17. Drawing room to the west is lined with bolection moulded panelling of early C18. Large dining room has early C19 fireplace surround with enriched mouldings and drapery flowing from a female head. Staircase has stone steps of C19. Great Chamber plates 191, 192, has carved panelling, elaborate fireplace surround, decorated plaster barrel-vaulted ceiling, all early C17. These are all described in detail in the R.C.H.M. entry. The plasterwork and panelling of the Great Chamber are of importance. The manor has been in the continuous ownership of the Williams family since 1513. (R.C.H.M. Dorset II, p.388 (1). Coker, Survey of Dorsetshire (1732), 73 Hutchins II, S27. Country Life, XXXIV (1913), 674-8).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.