You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 115181  

Print Page



© Mr Frank Swift

IoE Number: 115181
Location: THE WINDMILL, DUCK END (east side)
  FINCHINGFIELD, BRAINTREE, ESSEX
Photographer: Mr Frank Swift
Date Photographed: 24 June 2002
Date listed: 02 May 1953
Date of last amendment: 02 May 1953
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TL 6832FINCHINGFIELDDUCK END(east side)7/38The Windmill2.5.53

TL 6832 FINCHINGFIELD DUCK END (east side) 7/38 The Windmill 2.5.53 GV II Post mill. Early C18. Timber framed, weatherboarded, roundhouse of red brick. A small postmill, brought from elsewhere and erected on a high mill mound before 1840. The roundhouse was added in 1840. Formerly had 4 single-shuttered spring sails revolving anti-clockwise on an all-wooden windshaft (a rare feature, which survives dismantled), driving one pair of stones directly from the brakewheel, with a tail pole to turn it into the wind. Many carved dates inside the structure, of which the earliest is 1753. Belonged to the Spains Hall estate and last worked c.1890. After a period of dereliction it was repaired by the Parish, and again in 1958 by Essex County Council. At time of survey, August 1984, a major programme of restoration by Essex County Council has begun.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.