You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 116256  

Print Page



© Mr Frank Swift

IoE Number: 116256
Location: PAYCOCKS HOUSE, WEST STREET
  COGGESHALL, BRAINTREE, ESSEX
Photographer: Mr Frank Swift
Date Photographed: 13 December 2001
Date listed: 02 May 1953
Date of last amendment: 06 September 1988
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TL 8422-8522COGGESHALLWEST STREET(south side)9/227No. 25 (Paycocke's)2.5.53(formerly listed as

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL WEST STREET (south side) 9/227 No. 25 (Paycocke's) 2.5.53 (formerly listed as Paycocks House) GV I House. C15 and C16, altered c.1600 and in C18, restored 1910. Timber framed, plastered with some exposed framing and brick nogging, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Main range of 5 bays facing N, c.1505, with C19 axial stack near right end and 2 rear stacks, late C16 and C18. 3-bay wing to rear of right end, C15/early C16, with stack in rear bay. Beyond it, and originally separate, is a 2-bay building jettied to the left, C15, with a short connecting link. 3-bay rear wing near left end of main range, with end jetty, c.1570. C18 stair tower in angle to right of it, and C18/19 small extension to right. 2 storeys (the main range reduced from an original build of 3 storeys c.1600). The close- studded main elevation has been comprehensively restored in 1910 with carving of high quality by Ernest Beckwith, retaining some original carved woodwork (see photograph before restoration, Country Life, 2 February 1984, 291, and others by Miss Frances Noel, copies with Essex County Planning Department). Ground floor, 2 square oriels and 3 fixed lights, and 5 similar oriels on first floor, all C20, in early C16 style. An original door of 6 linenfold panels with moulded rails and muntins, restored, has been moved since the exterior was photographed by RCHM, c.1922, now almost central, 2 C20 carved figures above it. 2 blocked doorways with carved arched heads, C20. Original double vehicle doors, restored, at left end, with linenfold panelling, moulded frames, rails and muntins, with original 4-centred arched head and spandrels carved with foliage. The door-posts have restored pedestals, each with an original figure of a man below a canopy; the left figure wears a hood and long gown and holds a staff or musical instrument, of which part is missing; the right figure wears a short tunic, holds a mask in the right hand, the left arm missing from the elbow. Attached to the lower parts of the posts is original weathered carving of serpentine foliage, re-sited. Full-length jetty with original moulded and carved fascia with serpentine vine ornament, small heads and figures, the letters T and P (for Thomas Paycocke) and a shield with a merchant's mark of a 2-stemmed clover or ermine tail, all in high relief. The jetty plate is carved with blind tracery. 2 of the modern oriels on the ground floor appear to be accurate reconstructions of missing originals; a plain section of jetty plate with 2 free tenons near the right end indicates that originally there was a third oriel there. Restored attached shafts with chevron carved capitals and moulded brackets on both storeys. The jetty plate above the upper storey is carved with spiral foliage. The original beams and joists above, which formerly projected to form a second jetty, have been sawn off, and moulded and carved extension pieces added in 1910. The exposed brick nogging is partly original, partly of 1910. On the lower storey 8 panels are substantially original, and 17 panels on the upper storey, all in opposed triangles pattern. Panels adjacent to the modern windows have been infilled with modern bricks in rectangular patterns; 2 panels in reversed blocks pattern on the upper storey appear to be of original bricks (J. McCann, Brick Nogging in the Fifteenth and Sixteenth Centuries, with examples drawn mainly from Essex, Trans. Ancient Monuments Society 31, 1987, 106-133). On the upper storey of the rear left wing, at the rear and the right, are original windows each with 2 ovolo mullions, the saddle bars missing; the latter has a later wrought iron casement. The rear elevation has a moulded bressumer and moulded tiebeam. The rear right building has exposed studding with restored curved tension braces trenched to the outside. In the main range all the rear posts continue upwards above the girt which now effectively forms the rear eaves plate, sawn off when the building was reduced from 3 storeys. There are structural indications that the left bay was added shortly after the original build. Close studding with curved bracing trenched into it is exposed in most rooms. The partition wall between the vehicle way and the left ground-floor room has been moved outwards; the transverse beam which originally divided the 2 is chamfered on the left side, moulded on the right. In the bay to the left the axial beam is chamfered, and the joists are chamfered with step stops. In the bay to the right all the beams are moulded, and the joists are moulded with foliate carved stops. At the rear the joists are framed round an original stair-trap, now blocked with C20 moulded joists; the blocked entrance to the stair is visible in the wall to the right. A similar stair-trap in the floor above originally led to the former second floor. In the rear wall a late C16 wide wood-burning hearth has a re-used early C16 mantel beam with cranked top, moulded soffit, and face carved with animals, the merchant's mark, and scrolls with the name Thomas Paycock; the right end is wholly C20 restoration, and there is minor restoration elsewhere. The remainder of the room is lined with original linenfold panelling. The middle room of 2 bays has a C20 hearth. All the beams and joists are moulded and richly carved with flowing blind tracery; additionally some joists are carved with the merchant's mark and the initials T.P. and M.P. (for Thomas Paycocke and his first wife Margaret, née Horrold). The plates and beams are carved to form a frieze of similar tracery all round. In the right ground-floor room the beams and joists are moulded. The front and rear walls have a frieze of billet moulding. There are original doorways to left and rear with moulded jambs and 4-centred arched heads with carved spandrels. The small C19 hearth is faced with Delft tiles. Over the first-floor middle and left rooms the beams and joists are moulded; in the front bays the planks are laid parallel with the joists, across them elsewhere. Over the 2 outer rooms the beams are chamfered, and the joists are chamfered with step stops. In the second room from the left, near the rear left corner, the lower half of one panel retains plaster painted with roses and foliage, and a later painted border half-covering the roses. In this room a wood-burning hearth has an original mantel beam carved with grotesque beasts and the merchant's mark. In the right wall is a blocked original doorway with moulded jambs, the arched head missing. Above the right room is a blocked original stair-trap; in its left wall is a similar blocked doorway with a mortice for a draught screen. The room between has an C18 hearth with rounded interior. The roof is of clasped purlin construction with thin arched wind-bracing, characteristic of the late C16 or early C17, and of poorer quality than the remainder of this range. All the rafters are modern. Some charring near the left end is reported to have occurred c.1950. In the rear left wing the binding and bridging beams (2 in each bay) are chamfered with lamb's tongue stops, and plain joists of horizontal section are jointed to them with soffit tenons with diminished haunches. Arched braces are trenched inside the studding; jowled posts. A C17 hearth on the upper floor has a plain mantel beam, to which has been applied carved timber from elsewhere. The roof has been rebuilt in gambrel form in the C18. The stair tower has unjowled posts and primary straight bracing. Heavily weathered timber on the rear wall of the main range indicates that it was added long after the main construction. The wing to rear right is of narrow span, with chamfered binding beams and plain joists of horizontal section jointed to them with unrefined soffit tenons; clasped purlin roof with high arched collars. The building beyond has a chamfered axial beam; to right of it plain joists of horizontal section are jointed to it with unrefined soffit tenons; to left the jointing is of low-central tenons, indicating a sophisticated appreciation of the cantilever effect of the jetty Complete unglazed window to right of upper storey, with 2 diamond mullions and rebate for shutter. Thick arched braces to central tiebeam. Coupled rafter roof. The frame is illustrated in C.A. Hewett, The Development of Carpentry, 1200-1700, an Essex study, 1969, 135, 137, 197. (G.F. Beaumont, A History of Coggeshall in Essex, 1890, 207-9 and 241. J.S. Gardner (ed.), Coggeshall, Essex, 1951, 22). RCHM 3.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.