You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 118150  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 118150
Location: MATCHING MILL, HARLOW ROAD
  MATCHING, EPPING FOREST, ESSEX
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 26 April 1984
Date of last amendment: 26 April 1984
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TL 51 SWMATCHINGHARLOW ROADMatching Mill3/45II

TL 51 SW MATCHING HARLOW ROAD Matching Mill 3/45 II Roundhouse of post mill, C19, converted to smithy c.1882. Walls of soft red bricks with lime mortar, Flemish bond, thickness 0.33 metre to height of 0.80 metre, thickness 0.23 metre to height of 2.50 metres. Octagonal pyramidal roof of handmade red clay tiles terminating in an octagonal louvre. 2 original windows with segmental arches to NE and SW. 2 original doors, of conventional size to SE with segmental arch over, NW door 1 metre wide, in upper and lower halves, brick arch missing. Forge in centre with bellows intact. The tithe award of 1843shows the buildings on site as at present, described as 'Windmill, cottage and garden', owner and occupier Charles Martin (Essex Record Office D/CT 236). The 6" OS map surveyed in 1881 describes it as 'Matching Mill (Corn)' but the edition revised in 1895 identifies the roundhouse as 'Smithy'. White's Directory of 1848 describes Charles Martin as ' Farmer (and miller)'. Kelly's Directories from 1859 to 1878 list George Bennett, corn miller, but by 1882 no miller is recorded. Thus there was still a windmill on the site until 1881, but it was converted to a smithy very shortly afterwards. The roundhouse is not strong enough to support the cross trees of a late post mill, as at Ramsey, Essex, so it was built for storage round the existing sub-structure of a post mill, the walls being thicker at the base to resist the pressure of sacks. The missing arch of the larger door, which never carried any substantial weight, indicates how the main post was brought down without disturbing the walls.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.