You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 121347  

Print Page



© Mr Frank Swift

IoE Number: 121347
Location: THE OLD MILL,
  HIGH EASTER, UTTLESFORD, ESSEX
Photographer: Mr Frank Swift
Date Photographed: 30 March 2003
Date listed: 20 September 1985
Date of last amendment: 20 September 1985
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TL 61 SWHIGH EASTER3/29The Old MillGVII

TL 61 SW HIGH EASTER 3/29 The Old Mill GV II House, former roundhouse and trestle of postmill. Late C18 and C20. Brick cylindrical roundhouse with some plaster but with old plinth exposed. Upper cylindrical stage with continuous band of windows with brick mullions. Of 2 very tall storeys but with single storey curved extension block wrapping around the north and west faces. The 2 main cylinders are each capped by a brick and plaster balustrade. Windows are C20 metal casements, those in the ground floor set into canted bays. Internally those in the substantial timber trestle frame of a large post mill, set on tall battered brick piers. One beam is inscribed with the initials C.F. and the date: 1799. Isaac Mead, author of 'The Essex lad' 1923 was an apprentice here and also inscribed his name in the main post.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.