You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 129243  

Print Page



©  Helmut Schulenburg

IoE Number: 129243
Location: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW,
  WHITTINGTON, COTSWOLD, GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Helmut Schulenburg
Date Photographed: 09 October 2003
Date listed: 26 January 1961
Date of last amendment: 26 January 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SP 02 SWWHITTINGTONWHITTINGTON VILLAGE2/138Church of St. Bartholomew26.1.61GVII*

SP 02 SW WHITTINGTON WHITTINGTON VILLAGE 2/138 Church of St. Bartholomew 26.1.61 GV II* Anglican parish church. C12, C16 and C18, restored c1872 by Waller. Varied stonework treatment including ashlar, ashlar south transept. Stone slate roof, square weather-boarded bell turret. Plan; nave, with projecting C19 porch on south side, chancel with possibly late C16-C17 south chapel on south and C19 vestry against west wall. South aisle (incorporatng C12 elements) but rebuilt on smaller scale probably C18. Bell turret at east end of nave. Chancel north wall; C18 two-light hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned window with 'Tudor'-arched heads to each light, carved spandrels and stopped hood. Monument to Giles Watkins, former curate, died 1690 right; limestone with raised inscription plaque within margin with bolection moulding, winged angel's head at top, foliate scrollwork at sides and bottom. Decorated 2-light east window with stopped hood. Chancel south wall; 2-light C16 window with pointed headed lights and carved spandrels and stopped hood. East wall of south transept; C19 flat-chamfered pointed archway right of 6- light hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned late C16-C17 window with stopped hood. Similar window with king mullion in south wall. Lean-to vestry against west wall of south transept with trefoil- headed single light on south. West wall of vestry incorporates various reused stonework the principal being part of the head of C12 archway with chevron and roll moulded ornament, the upper part of a flat-chamfered lancet window and the central part of an unfinished ovolo-moulded window. Blocked rectangular window in west gable end of south transept. Two-light hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned window with pointed headed light in south wall of south transept. Nave west end; wide 'Tudor'-arched doorway with hollow-moulded surround and finely carved foliate spandrels (now blocked). Two-light C19 stone-mullioned casement with diamond leaded panes towards apex of gable. Flat-chamfered plinth to nave north wall, two C19 clamp buttresses with offsets. Two C18 two- light windows with 'Tudor-arched heads, carved spandrels and stopped hoods left of projecting gabled porch. Projecting C19 porch towards west end with wide early studded planks door with strap hinges within hollow-moulded surround with blind quatrefoil decoration in spandrels and stopped hood. Small bull's-eye window with moulded surround towards apex of gable. Flagged floor within porch, stone bench seats along side walls, plank door with strap hinges within 'Tudor'-arched doorway to nave. Interior; nave divided from south aisle by 2-bay arcade comprising C12 arch of 2 orders (left) and double-chamfered pointed Perpendicular arch with fine C15 head corbels supporting inner arch. South transept divided from nave by 2-bay C19 arcade with pointed arches and central octagonal pier. Chancel formerly divided from nave by rood screen (removed during restoration in 1872). Nave roof; 4-bays with C19 king post trusses. Chancel; 4 narrow bays with ..Z19 arch- braced roof. Three-bay panelled in arch-braced roof to transept. Lean-to roof to south aisle. Arched recess c2m in length, probably formerly forming covering to tomb in north wall of nave with moulded surround (unfinished on left-hand side). C18 panelling to walls of sanctuary reputed to have been made from former pews in Sevenhampton Church. Double cupboard doors with decorative hinges and reused fragments of C17 carved left of a partly set into panelling. Carved stone bearing 3 heraldic shields each within trefoil headed C12 round-headed window at west end of south aisle. Flagged floors throughout. Furniture and fittings; octagonal stone font of c1200 immediately inside south door. C19 pews and pulpit. Monuments; monument to Richard Thayer, died 1639. Limestone with segmental head with scrolled decoration, console at bottom and scrollwork either side. Slatestone tablet to Margaret Sheat, died 1692 and Margaret Barnes, died 1677. Unidentified monument right of Richard Thayer monument with partially legible partly incised and painted inscription, wide limestone margin with incised decoration based on trefoil. Monument below to Jacob Ingram, died 1670. Slatestone tablet within limestone surround with 2 female figures either side of inscription , one holding 2 doves the other 2 children, top and bottom of monument defaced. Large limestone monument right to John Ebsworth, died 1733 and Dorcus his wife, died 1731. Limestone with segmental pediment. Moulded margin around inscription. Scrollwork at bottom incorporating tulip-like flowers. Console at bottom C18 monument to John Taylor, servant at Sandywell Park, on nave north wall. C18 monument to another servant on north wall of south aisle. Brass to Richard Cotton (q.v. Whittington Court), died 1556 and Margaret his wife, died 1560 below step up to sanctuary. Two figures in brass, 3 vacant sunken fields between figures, one formerly contained a shield and the others represented children, one an infant wrapped in swaddling clothes. Brass inscription plaque below figures. Three early C14 life-sized stone effigies within transept. One represents a lady clad in wimple and simple gown, others are of Knights in armour with swords and crossed legs. The effigies possible represent Richard de Crupes, died 1278 and Richard his son, both Lords of the Manor. The lady may represent the wife of one of the Knights. C19 stained glass in east window, grisaille glass in south window of sanctuary. (David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds, 1979).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.