You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 129496  

Print Page



© Dr Robert Slade

IoE Number: 129496
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS,
  SOMERFORD KEYNES, COTSWOLD, GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Dr Robert Slade
Date Photographed: 10 August 2001
Date listed: 26 November 1958
Date of last amendment: 26 November 1958
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SOMERFORD KEYNESSOMERFORD KEYNES VILLAGESU 09 NW8/197Church of All Saints26.11.58GVII*

SOMERFORD KEYNES SOMERFORD KEYNES VILLAGE SU 09 NW 8/197 Church of All Saints 26.11.58 GV II* Anglican parish church. Saxon foundation c685, largely rebuilt early C13, tower of c1710-13, restored 1875 by Waller including building of north aisle. Coursed and tooled stone with some snecking and flush quoins, sprocketed stone slate roof with coped verges and saddlestones with cross finials. West tower, nave with south porch, chancel, with north aisle. Tower of 3 stages with offsets, embattled parapet and corner pinnacles, and stepped buttresses up to 2nd stage. Twin round-arched louvred belfry lights on top stage to all sides, similar window on second stage to west with large 3-light Perpendicular window below and small segmental headed doorway. Saxon doorway in aisleless section of north wall of nave, very narrow with stilted arch carried on stepped corbels. Two-light windows to nave and chancel, some restored, with priest's door between the 2 chancel windows on south side, and C19 three-light lancet to east. Interior: nave roof of 5 bays with braced collar beams with struts to principal rafters, and 2 tiers of arched wind bracing. Arcade on north side is Early English, 2 bays to nave, one to chancel. North aisle contains large black and white marble monument with reclining effigy to Robert Straung (Strange), died 1654. Chancel has sedilia and C13 piscina, C15 screen. (David Verey, Buildings of England - Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979; Geoffrey Gibbon, Through the Saxon Door - the story of Somerford Keynes, 1969).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.