You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 129506  

Print Page



© Dr Robert Slade

IoE Number: 129506
Location: MANOR HOUSE,
  SOMERFORD KEYNES, COTSWOLD, GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Dr Robert Slade
Date Photographed: 16 August 2001
Date listed: 04 June 1952
Date of last amendment: 04 June 1952
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SOMERFORD KEYNESSOMERFORD KEYNES VILLAGESU 09 NW8/207Manor House4.6.52GVII

SOMERFORD KEYNES SOMERFORD KEYNES VILLAGE SU 09 NW 8/207 Manor House 4.6.52 GV II Large detached manor house. Core probably of late C15 or early C16, enlarged to east c1630s, with wing to north-west added in 1924. Random coursed rubble stone with flush quoins, stone slate roof, renewed stone stacks including flue to large partially external stack to main fireplace on north side. Originally a single range with through passage, gabled cross wing added to east and projecting wing to north-west forming 'L'-shape. Mostly 2 storeys and attic. Probably originally a hall with solar to east of screens passage, with 2-storey service wing to west. Roof raised at some stage, probably in early C17, requiring raking buttresses to be built against south wall to take extra weight, and some of the original smoke-blackened timbers may have been reused to form new roof structure. On north side, original external entrance with chamfered and stopped Tudor stone archway with initials "M" and "S" in spandrels (Strange family), covered over with long lean-to and original vertical battened plank door moved to outer entrance, recessed under cambered beam with carved stone heads to each side. External stack rises through this lean-to, which has mostly small leaded casements to left and C20 raised window to right. Cross wing of C17 has coped gables to both ends, with 3-light hollow-moulded leaded stone mullion and transoms with square hoodmould to ground and first floor, and 2-light stone mullion with square hoodmould to attic on north side and to angle wing linking it with main range to right. North-west wing of 1924 built in sympathetic style with leaded stone windows. South front has original service wing to west with 3 and 2-light stone mullion and transom with square hoodmould and relieving arch to first and ground floors. Original hall steps slightly forward with wide hipped porch with depressed Tudor arch with chamfered jambs and lintel whose original inner vertical battened plank door has been moved to original external north entrance. Three-light stone mullion and transom above and 2 similar to ground and first floors to right, raised to far right on ground floor for original dais. All fenestration leaded iron casements, including 2 small hipped dormers. Early C17 wing has large squared masonry on south gable end. Interior substantially altered in 1967 and in 1970s. Partitions in main hall have been moved, including removal of screens partition. Large C16 strapwork stone fireplace below external stack on original north wall; behind plaster on east wall is former fireplace for solar, also large stone fireplace carved with terms and Hungerford arms. C17 panelling survives in additional north entrance hall. There is reputed to have been a manor house on this site since the C14. (David Verey, Buildings of England - Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979; Geoffrey Gibbon, Through the Saxon Door - the story of Somerford Keynes, 1969).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.